10 Gallon Tank Friend for my betta?

bettalover0Z

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello there! I have a betta named Griffin who I just put into his new 10 gallon tank (his old one was a 3.5 gallon) and since he has always been in a smaller tank he's not used to so much swimming space. I decided that I should consider getting him a friend. So these are my questions for you:

1) Will any other fish fit with him in a 10 gallon?
2) Will the fish fit in a 3.5 gallon if it doesn't work out?
3) I don't like snails or shrimp (just putting it out there x) )
4) Will they bully each other?
5) do betta even like having friends?
6) Will the new fish be high maintenance (won't be able to go in a cup during water changes, special food that betta can't eat, etc.)
For some info on my tank the temperature is 81° I have a sponge filter and a heater, I use Aqueon water conditioner and plan to start using Seachem prime. The tank is not planted I only have one hidy hole but I can get another, I use silk plants. I cannot provide water parameters yet but water tests are coming. If anymore information is needed please let me know!

Thanks! ♥

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, yes, there are probably some fish that will work in a 10 gallon, but it depends on the Betta. How aggressive is he?

OP
bettalover0Z

bettalover0Z

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What behavior does an aggressive betta have?

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Usually flaring at everything and generally being protective.

I'm going to bed now, I'm sure the other members will help you. Good luck. :)

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My betta lives in a 10g with 8 pygmy cories and I swear he loves them. He acts like one of them and they are always chilling together! He's like one giant, colorful, dorky catfish. I picked my betta knowing I wanted him with cories, so I held him up to the guppy tank at the store and he was interested but not flaring. You could try showing him videos of other fish. Not bettas, because he will likely react to those even if he's nice to most fish. Also, maybe this is just my guy, but he is SO AGGRESSIVE to the thermometer and filter intake in my tank... he will flare at them every day. If I just saw that, I never would have put him with others, but turns out he just has a hatred for inanimate objects.
A tip- if you get him friends, take him and put him into a separate container (for like an hour), rearrange the tank as much as you can, acclimate and add the new fish, and then add him back. That way, it won't feel like they are invading his territory.

here he is just casually being one of the cats at suppertime

OP
bettalover0Z

bettalover0Z

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aw thats cute! I'm not sure i've ever seen him flare before, any other fish suggestions?

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
many small, peaceful fish would do. Ember tetras are a popular choice. The pygmy cories are nice because they mostly stay near the bottom (although they do swim midwater). Pretty much anything that is temperature compatible, happy in a 10g, not a fin nipper, and not super colourful/long finned would work! You should definitely get more decor in your tank, though. Driftwood, rocks, and real or fake plants to provide cover and block lines of sight are super helpful in having a fish that may get annoyed at others.

OP
bettalover0Z

bettalover0Z

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright! if I get non-plastic (aka real i guess) driftwood would using the prime and water conditioner still work?

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also, I just wanna address something you mentioned- do you take your betta out every time you do a water change? This is generally not advised, it's way easier and less stressful to just leave him in there. I don't know what your water changes look like, but typically you should just take out your desired amount of water, between 25 and 75%, and add in temp matched, conditioned water.

OP
bettalover0Z

bettalover0Z

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
something went wrong with my order and I never got my new temperature gauge so I have been too scared to try doing a water change with him in there. I also use tap water and condition it and I'm not sure how long it takes for the conditioner to set in.

OP
bettalover0Z

bettalover0Z

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
redmare said:
absolutely. prime is my favourite conditioner, both my tanks have wood and plants.
should I use prime and water conditioner or just the prime?

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
bettalover0Z said:
something went wrong with my order and I never got my new temperature gauge so I have been too scared to try doing a water change with him in there. I also use tap water and condition it and I'm not sure how long it takes for the conditioner to set in.
When I do my changes, I fill up a 5 gallon bucket (since I change 50% of my 10), I use a digital stick candy thermometer to test the tank water and then run hot or cold water into my bucket until its within half a degree, add my prime, swish, and add to the tank. It can take up to 5 minutes to get all the chlorine, but it doesnt affect fish that fast. Lots of people fill their tanks with straight tap water and then condition the whole tank after.

bettalover0Z said:
should I use prime and water conditioner or just the prime?
Prime is water conditioner! So just prime

OP
bettalover0Z

bettalover0Z

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That makes me so relieved! can you send me a link to a good thermometer? Thanks for helping me! I have to go to bed now but have a good day/night/morning! ♥

New Threads