Friend For Male Gourami

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, my fishes have been driving me crazy last weeks with them being angry and snappy and all. The solution is, my male honey gourami is staying in an 8 gallon (30 liter) tank alone for good. I am raising two of his fry now which will join him in a month is they survive. He is a good boy alone, but gets very territorial when there are ladies around.

He is super bored and lonely in his new home. Any suggestions for a small buddy for him? Would a snail do the trick? I plan on getting a bumblebee horn snail. Does he need more company than that? He was around 10 other fishes always active until I replaced him and now he just stands around doing nothing all days.

Han

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could add some bottom feeders, 3 pygmy cories would be good if you wanted actual fish, they're super cute and they won't get too big for that tank. I doubt that he would consider the snail company, but there's no harm in adding a snail.
I would advise that you don't keep more than 1 gourami in a tank of that size.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Han said:
You could add some bottom feeders, 3 pygmy cories would be good if you wanted actual fish, they're super cute and they won't get too big for that tank. I doubt that he would consider the snail company, but there's no harm in adding a snail.
I would advise that you don't keep more than 1 gourami in a tank of that size.
Those look sweet! I will read up on them I learned the hard way that the gourami needs to be there alone ^^ the ladies are in 15 gallon with other fishes. But he cant be there otherwise stresses everyone.

Do you think the corries would be fine on stone gravel? There is a picture of the tank with the male.

Attachments

Han

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmmm..It's hard to tell from the photo. Pygmy cories usually do fine with gravel, and are happy. BUT you have to make sure the gravel is reasonably smooth (no sharp edges) and isn't painted (should be natural), since the paint can come off and isn't good for them- I learned this the hard way, I put cories into a tank with black painted gravel without thinking and it contributed to their death. :banghead:

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Han said:
Hmmm..It's hard to tell from the photo. Pygmy cories usually do fine with gravel, and are happy. BUT you have to make sure the gravel is reasonably smooth (no sharp edges) and isn't painted (should be natural), since the paint can come off and isn't good for them- I learned this the hard way, I put cories into a tank with black painted gravel without thinking and it contributed to their death. :banghead:
Oh :/ Well my gravel s not painted. But it has fairly rough edges. So I think I will reconsider. I was also advised I should not keep three corries as that is too little and also that my aquarium is not big enough. Maybe I will think of a shrimp or something lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom