Fried Filter?

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Last night I was just sitting at home when the power went out. It was off for a good 4-5 hours. When it came back on the first thing I did was got to my room to set the filter back up. I started pouring water in it hopin to get it started, but nothing happened, it wasn't even making the noise. So I took it off and cleaned it all out and put it back on, it still wasn't making the noise. I left it plugged in last night hoping that it may kick in at some point, it never did. My fish have been 16-17 hours without filter now, and it'll be another 8 as I'm gonna be in school all day. Is there a way to start my filter back up

What do I do:;dogrun

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Did you remove the impeller from the well of your filter and give it a good cleaning? If not try it. Add some Nova Aqua or whatever you use to add body slime to the fish onto the impeller and into the well area where the impeller rests.

If you have it plugged into an extension cord check that too. There could be a short in the cord wire.

Ken

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have Seachem Prime?
If so, I would dose the tank with prime to de-tox the ammonia for 24hrs so they don't suffer from ammonia exposure.
If you have an air pump running, that should keep the surface agitation to allow gas exchange and prevent your fish from suffocating.

Oh, and one last thought, the power outage hasn't tripped a circuit breaker that you can reset?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Be sure to keep your filter media wet! Place it into the tank if you haven't already done so.
Ken

If you would be so kind as to complete your Aquarium Profile information it will be a great help to others. What type of filter are we dealing with here?
You can access the Aquarium Profile information by clicking on My Settings in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on Edit Aquarium Information.
Thanks!

Last edited:

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could also double check by plugging your filter directly into the wall.... it may have burnt out the power board at that point.

+1 on Ken's advice to keep your media wet.

Aside from that, further to my post above, you'll want to do a 10-15% water changes daily to dilute any ammonia/nitrite/nitrate build up until the filter gets sorted.

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanx everyone...I came home today and did an EXTREME CLEAN to my filter, I cleaned iot to the MAX. And thankfully it started working again.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear it. My next suggestion was going to be to just fiddle with it. Sometimes the impeller may need a bump to get going if it's possible, I have well water so after a while my impeller gets a film over it and prevents the magnets from turning. Usually a good cleaning every month or so or anytime you see a reduced flow of water then it's time to clean the impeller. (keep your media wet )
Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom