freze dried food

1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

hi i ned some help right now iv been reading and hearing different things on freeze dried food and was wondering if its good or not b/c iv heard it gives fish something that they dont get in other foods its a good variety and that its not good b/c the way they make and package it i think it was that it gets a lot of dust in it b/c they make it really fast and not safe for the fish so just wondering wat everybodys experiece or knolwedge of this is??

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I feed my fish freeze dried blood worms and freeze dried shrimp and they love it. I like it as a way to give variety.
    I think it is ok as long as you don't feed alot at one time.
    Carol

3. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

My little Betta, Noel goes after the freeze dried bloodworms like he is killing them! He wouldn't give themup for anything. In fact, he almost gets upset when he is offered anything else. Neither Betta will eat freeze dried shrimp. The only thing is to be careful not to get too large a package so they get too old before they are used up. They should all be used up within 90 days.

Shalom,

Rose

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I have never heard that freeze dried foods were bad for your fish. I feed mine freeze dried bloodworms, shrimp, krill, daphnia, and tubifex worms. The only way they are bad is if that's all you feed your fish, and you don't give them variety. Some fish can't take a lot of protein, and it can cause constipation. Variety is the key.

5. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ok thnks everybody il probly get some as soon as i get some $

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I agree with Gunnie. Freeze-dried stuff is a more 'natural' diet for fish. Most flakes aren't that good. Bloodworms and brine shrimp are cheap and easy to find. Just make sure you don't get anything too big for your fish. Some shrimp is really big. Hey Gunnie, where do you get the other freeze-dried things you feed? I've only been able to find the two things I mentioned above.

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Omega One makes freeze dried bloodworms, tubifex, and shrimp. I used to get my krill from Ken's fish, but next time I order some I'm gonna get it here:

http://www.avidaquatics.com/store/index.php

He's a hobbyist just like we are. ;)

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I use the Omega One freeze dried foods also and they are very good.
    I've always been careful about how much I feed because I was afraid the freeze dried foods would swell after my fish eat them :p They still get plenty believe me :D
    Carol