Freshwater Velvet Help

1. JFranz93 Initiate Member

HEY!

I've been a longtime reader on this forum and I've come to the point where I cannot find the answer to my question.

What is the best way to treat freshwater velvet?

I've read different methods from salt baths, to melafix, to CuSO4 and I can't find a single tried and true method.

Because you may ask the tank parameters are in check. (0 NH4, 0 NO2, 10-20 NO3 depending on when I check, pH 7.0-7.1) I check 2-3 times to week. Its a 5 gallon tank with a Betta fish and some ghost shrimp for cleaning. Out of the blue my fish was covered in gold dust! I've had him for 6th months now and this came out of nowhere.

Yes, I know the nitrogen cycle. I have three tanks and I'm currently in the process of setting up at 125 gallon reef tank! I've never had to deal with velvet but now I am freaking out! Any help is appreciated!

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Melafix will work, but you have to make sure you put some aquarium sponge to replace the carbon.

3. JFranz93 Initiate Member

Thanks!

4. goplecos Well Known Member Member

you're welcome

5. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Actually, you don't want to use melafix for Bettas, it damages their labrynth organs and you'll end up suffocating them.

Do an 80% water change

increase your temp to 82-84degrees and keep it that way until the the symptoms have gone away.

Remove any carbon in your tank

Keep the lights off (the parasite benefits from light)

Use a basic treatment like Jungle Velvet Guard OR Mardel's Coppersafe and follow the instructions on the bottle. You may need malachite green as a backup, but only if the condition gets worse

You will want to remove your shrimp as the medications will hurt and/or kill them.

6. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Melafix saved my first Betta, you will want to move the shrimp though.

7. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

as a note, be a bit careful with the Coppersafe (aka copper sulfate) as it is quite strong...don't go overdosing (it might be a good idea to slightly underdose as we're working with an anabatoid) because you kill your guy

8. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore! :)

I agree with the advice KinsKicks has given

9. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't recommend it though. The main ingredient in Melafix is a tea tree oil (I believe cajeput) that is similar to clove oil, and can be a sort of sedative and "coating" to Bettas and impact the labrynth organs long term. It's "okay" for Bettas but it really should be used in like half, even a fourth of the dosage to be completely safe if you still want to use Melafix...but still not too big of a fan of it tho.

Anyhow, Velvet is a parasite, not a bacteria or fungus (in which Melafix is targeted for anyways)

10. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Thanks, I did use a half dosage though.

11. JFranz93 Initiate Member

Thanks! I'm a chem/biology major so I'm pretty good when it comes to mixing chemicals and watching their levels. I'm heading home to make sure he is still alive, he did not look good at all this morning. He must have been scratching rocks all night long.

If he is doing better I'll run and get some.

As far as the shrimp. They were $0.25. I want my Betta to live.

Here is a picture of him :(

Attached Files: