Freshwater tank 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by j_hebert_88, Dec 15, 2009.

1. j_hebert_88

j_hebert_88New MemberMember

I just purchased my first aquarium. It will be a 20 gallon freshwater aquarium. My question is i have a filter on an established tank already and i was wondering once I place that filter in my tank how long will the bacteria live without being feed ammonia from fish or any other source? Thank you and this website is very helpful.

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    I'm not sure how long the bacteria can live without a source of ammonia.
    Personally, I would think the bacteria would begin to die off in a few hours and def. would start to worry about losing the cycle after a day. That's just opinion, not fact.

It'll be interesting to see if someone knows for sure.

3. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore! I would think that the bacterial colony would die off pretty quickly with no ammonia source at all... maybe 24-48 hours? This is just an educated guess, though.

4. OP
    OP
    j_hebert_88

j_hebert_88New MemberMember

thanks that helps out a lot.

5. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

That would be an interesting experiment to test out... however without a source of ammonia the bacteria wouldn't last long. 48 would be the max I think before the bacteria population would be too small to handle even a light bioload... Assuming that the media is kept wet during the time...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice