Freshwater Sump

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you decide to go with an initial baffle, I'd suggest putting about 6" of some ceramic media (or glass marbles) at the bottom of the first section and run the intake down to that point. Then put a piece of the 10PPI foam on top, making a cutout for the intake pipe. The flow would be into the ceramic media, up through the foam, and then over the first baffle. Now you've got a 3" pre-filter with a primary settlement area below. This should keep the worst of the muck away from your main filter media and allow it to go a lot longer between cleanings. Cleaning out one long, narrow sponge every couple months shouldn't be too bad. If it traps the worst of the muck I'd wager you could go years before needing to clean the first large foam pad.

OP
Qwickwitz

Qwickwitz

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you decide to go with an initial baffle, I'd suggest putting about 6" of some ceramic media (or glass marbles) at the bottom of the first section and run the intake down to that point. Then put a piece of the 10PPI foam on top, making a cutout for the intake pipe. The flow would be into the ceramic media, up through the foam, and then over the first baffle. Now you've got a 3" pre-filter with a primary settlement area below. This should keep the worst of the muck away from your main filter media and allow it to go a lot longer between cleanings. Cleaning out one long, narrow sponge every couple months shouldn't be too bad. If it traps the worst of the muck I'd wager you could go years before needing to clean the first large foam pad.
That's a cool idea, But i don't think I'm going to add an initial baffle, just one at the end for a optional polishing pad and pretty much stick to the design that Stephan laid out for me.

I like your marble sponge pre filter idea though. I was thinking of a container that was 9-10 inches tall and the depth of the sump but so it could still be pulled out like a Tupperware or somthing that you could make a removable pre filter with the 6" of marbles and 3 inches of 10ppi foam. With an idea like that i could add at after the fact with no need for baffels and it would make cleaning it a breeze.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like your marble sponge pre filter idea though. I was thinking of a container that was 9-10 inches tall and the depth of the sump but so it could still be pulled out like a Tupperware or somthing that you could make a removable pre filter with the 6" of marbles and 3 inches of 10ppi foam. With an idea like that i could add at after the fact with no need for baffels and it would make cleaning it a breeze.
The only problem I see with that is if it starts to clog it will block the water flow. If it isn't sealed, then you've got water on floor. If it is sealed, then you've got water backing up into the tank. The pump will just about drain the sump before it runs dry, so you'd need room for about 30 more gallons in the main tank or, again, water all over the floor.

For canister filters I really like the idea of a pre-filter canister that's easy to clean, but I'm not sure it's such a great idea for a sump.

OP
Qwickwitz

Qwickwitz

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I see what your saying. I do have an emergency drain, but still not a good idea.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My favorite and last freshwater sump ...
YPWOggml.jpg

uOSEGGRl.jpg

RkHinrZl.jpg

Water overflows first baffle and then gose through a pile of mechanical media [pads and spiral material to separate] under baffle and through first sponge.
Then through sponges the rest of way .The flows length wise for more place for sponges and water ..There many more sponges in it now .Made in a 20 long filtering a 75g .
Less over under baffles held hold co2 for plants ..Baffles are really for marine de gassing and water direction .I total control over where water goes so need only 1 over and 1 under then sponge city !
I took the design from a bud back years ago.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's very close to what I'd planned for a sump with a 20 long, with the divider down the length to get two long runs about 6" wide each. I was going to put another piece of glass across the width where you've got the free end. I figured it would add a bit of strength and also give me a spot to use if a fish needed a respite from the community or to add some water lettuce for additional filtration.

I'm glad to hear you like it. Make me more confident I was on the right track. If I ever get that 100 gallon tank I'll know what to do about filtration.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom