Freshwater Substrate - White Sand is not growing my plants

jamiwr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello:

I have a 12 gallon fluval edge 2 and I am trying to grow plants with limited success. I am constantly trimming the dead ends off and have lost most of the tall grass plants.

I recently started a DIY c02 system and it seems to be helping but nothing is flourishing.

I am wondering if it is the sand that I am using that does not provide enough nutrients for the aquarium.

turn.jpg
turn 2.jpg

Plants I think I have:

I have also attached some pics.

Please let me know your thoughts.

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore.

Sand is inert. Depending on type of plants you have, you would need root tabs or liquid fertilizer to provide nutrients for your plants.

Amazon Swords are heavy root feeders which you will need root tabs for them to provide the nutrients they need and is also considered a a medium to high light plant but still can grow in low light plant.

The tall grass which looks like Jungle Val usually melts when first planted then rebounds after it gets use to its new environment.

OP
J

jamiwr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have had the plants for over six months and what you see is the result of me cutting them back constantly. I am hoping that the root tabs will make a difference. I am going to buy some online.

How long does it take to see improvements from adding the C02 ( I did this a week ago) and then how long would it be until I see improvement from the root tabs?

YoungClayB

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You probably won't see a big difference with the co2 Unless you are running a high output light setup.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom