Freshwater stocking suggestions 20 Gallon Tank

1. j_hebert_88 Initiate Member

Taking suggestions on what to stock my 20 gallon freshwater aquarium with. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well as you have just started I will suggest quite a simple community tank :)

1 Dwarf gourami
    6 neon tetras (6 of any tetra is usually suitable, but I love neons :))
    4 Corydoras

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

So many possibilities... any ideas what you like?

3 male guppies, 6 pygmy cories, 3 male platies

or

6 cardinal tetras, 6 bleeding heart tetras

or

if it is a 20 Tall, a pair of angelfish

4. j_hebert_88 Initiate Member

like the guppy idea, thought about black mollies. My girlfriend wants some shrimp. I like the suggestions. It gives me more to think about.

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I have 3 male guppies, each one a different color, and i absolutely love them. How about 3 male guppies and 3 male mollies. I mention males because females are likely to give you fry, even all females, as they can come from the store already pregnant.
    Then you could have a bunch of cherry shrimps at the bottom.

Mollies get a bit bigger and produce more waste than guppies. Just something to keep in mind.

After your tank is cycled, you could add 3 fish at a time, 7-10 days apart, then the shrimp. After a couple of months, if things are going well, you may even be able to add in 3 male platies or a couple of swordtails...

edit: your tastes are very much like mine. I have 3 guppies. My next additions to my tank are going to be 3 male black mollies.

6. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:sign0016: j_hebert. Congrats on the new tank. :)

Some more options to mix and match with suggestions already listed include

2 sparkling or 2 honey gouramis
    otocinclus
    bristlenose pleco (without the aforementioned corydoras)
    platies
    Mystery Snails
    red cherry shrimp
    ghost (a.k.a. glass) shrimp

:animal0028:

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

1 dwarf gourami, 4 guppies (1m/3f), 6 cherry barbs (3m/3f), 15 ghost shrimp and a mystery snail. That would be a very active tank with lots of colors.

My 20 houses a golden wonder killi, a blue crayfish and 10 cherry barbs.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello JH and Welcome to Fish Lore. :animal0068: I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum to help you to get more responses.
    Hope you enjoy the site!
    Ken

9. kacie Member Member

A pair of Bolivian Rams,
    8 Neon tetras,
    6 Pygmy Cories

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Wonderful advice above.

There are so many options for your tank. You could always look around, let us know what you're interested in, and we could help you from there.

Harlequin Rasboras and rummynose tetras are two favorites for tropical community tanks.

11. platy ben Well Known Member Member

All of the above suggestions are great however, a pair of rams with other fish in a 20G I'm going to have to disagree with.

I think that iloveengls suggestion of honey gouramis is another great one :)

12. kacie Member Member

Platy Ben I have had Rams with Neons in a 20g high for a year with spawning, too. They didn't even know there tetras with them.

13. j_hebert_88 Initiate Member

ok, so this is what im thinking so far. guppies, black mollies, shrimp, and possibly cherry barbs. My next question would be how many of each of these could i put in the aquarium? I have a top fin 20 filter. Also, would the shrimp be enough or should i get a small algae eater? Again this is a 20 gallon aquarium. I would still gladly accept more suggestions. Thanks for all the help.

14. rae64 Well Known Member Member

i agree with honeys! so cute, and they are peaceful, unlike their close gourami relatives! you can even keep 2 males peacfully. they could be cool with the guppies and mollies. plus they stay small, and are beautiful! they are only about 1.5 - 2 inches

also think about cory cats... they are adorable, playful, and so much fun! you need a school of about 5 probobly. you could do :

3 male guppies, 3 female black mollies, 2 honeys and 5 cory cats. i think that would be fine.... ill check for backup though :)

15. Neji Member Member

Well, my setup is strange but I can tell you what I have and maybe you might want to do it too, but you don't have to.

I have 3 Colombian tetras, 3 X-Ray Tetras, 3 Angels, 1 Black Spotted Eel, 1 Fire mouth Cichlid, 1 Common Pleco, and one dwarf albino sail fin pleco. Other than that, my tank is blooming with live plants that I always have to plant new plants that are growing off of the parent plant :)

If you want, you can do this setup.

A bunch of Amazon Swords with Anacharis, Riccia, and maybe moss balls or dwarf hair grass as plants, and you can go with 1-2 dwarf gourami species like the chocolate gourami, or the common dwarf gourami :) They are normally from India and around many other places in South East Asia, also you can keep various types of tetras, if you want to get some angelfishes, then I recommend that you get larger tetras that wont be very small since Angelfishes do grow big.

Severums, along with danios, and gouramis will be good too :) but sadly you need at least a 55 gallon tank for severums :(

Anyways.... live plants are always a good thing :) they help absorb the heavy metals found in the water.

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You have all those fish in a 20 gallon tank??

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

looks like neji has them in a 29. I am going to respectfully disagree that this will work for j_hebert_88's tank, neji.

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree. I wouldn't even try to fit all those fish in a 55.

19. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

:;laughing you're the king of heavy stocking - when you say it's overstocked, it is definitely overstocked.

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

;D I do pack'em in, but sensibly.