Freshwater Stocking Suggestions (need Advice) 29 Gallon Tank

1. L

LPM New Member Member

My grandfather has a 29 gallon wide hex in his storage that he wants to give away. My dad used it for African Cichlids a long time back, and he recommends I get it. It would be a big upgrade from my current 10 gallon planted tank I've kept since April (which could be good or bad). Do you think I'm ready for a large tank? I've been doing weekly water changes (10-20%) and have kept good water parameters. Does bigger tank=Bigger problems? Are water changes as frequent/a pain? Can beginners maintain a tank that large?​

I've looked into a few random species and here's some that interest me:​
    • Killifish
    • Peacock Gudgeon
    • Dwarf Gourami
    • African Cichlid
    • Paradise Fish/Gourami
    • Otocinclus catfish
    • Boesemani Rainbowfish
    • Cardinal Tetras
    I'm partial to Gouramis (I have a dwarf and a honey), so I'd love to hear about more of their species. I also am drawn to very colorful fish. 29 gallons seems like a lot to work with, but compatibility and space wise, there will be some fish I can't keep with each other. What are some stocking ideas? Please suggest other species not listed; I'd love to find more. Are some I'm interested not good for 29 gallons?

Thanks for reading!​

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore.

29 gallons is good, it will be less maintenance as long as you stock it correctly :)

Can you post what your stocking is for the 10? I reckon most of them will need to be moved over to the 29.

3. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

4. OP
    OP
    L

LPM New Member Member

I'm not sure if I would move all my 10 gallon fish in the 29, since I would have to buy larger supplies for the new tank anyway.
    I have a Dwarf Gourami, a Honey Gourami, three Neon Tetras, and two small Cories. They coexist really well together, though the Dwarf is the established dominant fish.

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I'd definitely move all those fish into the 29, as they should be in a bigger tank anyway. What type of cories? Those, and the neon tetras, are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own species.

6. OP
    OP
    L

LPM New Member Member

All the fish should be moved? Is it possible I could move some and still keep some in the 10?
    I have an albino Cory, but I'm not sure about the other. They were sold together as "Cory Catfish", where some were brown and others were albino. I have one that is grayish brown. They both are the same size.

I don't have a picture of the 29 tank itself, but this is the closest thing to it I could find on the internet. It has a flat back. (if this image helps with stocking) Next time I visit him, I'll get a picture. It doesn't come with a top. flatbackglass-500x500.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Can you get a picture of the cories?
    Yes, all of them should be moved. None of those fish are suitable for a 10g long term, imo.