Freshwater Stocking Question

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 55 Gallon tank I plan to plant and have some fish in. I was searching through the freshwater fish list here and saw the Red Tail Shark which instantly piqued my interest.

On this site it says they are an aggressive fish, but on research from other websites I'm hearing exactly the opposite and have read they are actually shy and quite peaceful.

But anywho, I was asking if these fish I've planned would work ok together.

1 Red Tail Shark
4 Cory Cats
6 Mollies
3 Kuhli Loaches

Now these are the ones I know I want, and I'd also like to get a school of one of these fishes:

Cherry Barb
Gold Barb
Harlequin Rasbora
Buenos Aires Tetra
Cardinal Tetra
Neon Tetra
Rummy Nose Tetra
Swordtails
Marble Hatchet Fish

Which one of these fish would do best with the ones listed above?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Red tail Sharks can be aggressive with it's own kind and with anything invading it's territory. As long as you have plenty of hiding/ sleeping places for the shark, Cory's and Kuhlis you should be OK but I wouldn't do it in anything less than a 55g. Since the RTS gets about six inches at maturity you may have to watch to make sure it's not being grumpy with it's fellow bottom dwellers.
I have Harlequin Rasbora and absolutely love them. they are very fast swimmers and make a good display in large numbers.
Carol

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Red tail Sharks can be aggressive with it's own kind and with anything invading it's territory. As long as you have plenty of hiding/ sleeping places for the shark, Cory's and Kuhlis you should be OK but I wouldn't do it in anything less than a 55g. Since the RTS gets about six inches at maturity you may have to watch to make sure it's not being grumpy with it's fellow bottom dwellers.
I have Harlequin Rasbora and absolutely love them. they are very fast swimmers and make a good display in large numbers.
Carol
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll be sure to add plenty of cover on the bottom.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would not recommend the rummy nose tetra, as it is pretty much a bottom dweller, too, and may make your shark aggressive towards them. My rainbow shark will chase my zebra danios if they get to the bottom third of the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom