Freshwater snails??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am so sorry ... Adlegl ... I know it's not funny .... LOL, but this whole post thread makes me laugh! Poor Adlegl and the snails! But now seriously ... I also have plants in my tank, for about 3 months now. And this whole snail thing scared me a bit. If the snails are to reproduce and multiply, how long after the purchase of plants should one be able to notice the snails? I have also read about them and tried to look for them since I got the plants. But so far I haven't seen anything other than my fish in my tank. If 3 months have passed by now and I haven't seen any snails in my tank, is it reasonable to assume that there won't be any? That none were brought from the store together with the plants? Plus, I have one algae eater ... but algae eaters don't eat tiny snails, do they?

One more thing Adlegl - I have read that snails can actually be beneficial (but when their colony isn't too large, of course). They actually forage on leftover food and graze on algae. Doing this, the snails are in fact doing us a favor by eating excess food. They're also a sign of healthy environemnt. But ... all this is safe as long as the colony of snails isn't too large, as I have said. And ... if I had snails, I know I'd probably be in trouble, but I just couldn't imagine kilingl them or getting a fish that eats them. I hate killing anything that is alive. So maybe ... keep some of these snails for your own benefit?

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I noticed my intruder maybe 3 or 4 weeks after I got the plants so I think 3 months without them means you're free! I have 2 types of snails - the pond snails whcih are great and then the pesty ones. They're golden apple snails that are the pests - they must lay about 200 eggs at a time and in good conditions many survive and they grow so darn quickly too! And they eat all the plants whcih the pond snails dont seem to do!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A large number of snails is usually a sign of over feeding and can be controlled to a certain extent by being careful about size and frequency of feedings. a small colony is beneficial as they bury themselves in your gravel/sand and keep it loosened up as well as eat food that has dropped to the bottom. If you want a good idea of how many snails you really have get up 3 or 4 hours after you turn the lights out and using a flash light look at your tank(they will be everywhere). Hand picking them is really your best option, chemicals can be dangerous to the whole tank.
I have a 75G with clown loaches and they eat all my snails, but since they get rather large they are not an option for you at this point. Hope that helps
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Butterly, so is it possible for snails to multiply simply due to overfeeding, even if there are no plants in the tank?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes definately, most animals will multiply more readily when there is plenty of food than when there is little. There is one of my tanks that always has a few snails, and when I need snails for my Loaches I feed an extra algae wafer and in a couple of days they are everywhere. Then I scoop them out every morning for a couple of days.
Did you at any time empty water from the fish store into your tank? Like when you put your fish in? If so you could have emptied snail eggs in with the water. Hope that helps
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No Butterfly When I buy new fish, I take the fish one by one from the bag and put them into my tank. I never pour the water from the bag directly into my tank. I never had snails by the way, just curious. It's interesting that they can develop even without plants. Another good reason not to overfeed the fish!

adlegl

Reaction score
it's ok isabella---i was laughing at myself the whole time--you should have seen the dramatic story i told all my friends so i could get sympathy lol

it was a very hectic experience---its good to know though that a few of them are good--its when they multiply that they need to be handled--well if that happens to me again i will know how to better handle my situation--

i never have live plants---and i too take my fish out one at a time from the bag from the fish store--its very strange that i ended up with them---i am sure i had a tagalong and didn't know it---

i guess i had such a huge population cause i over feed my fish maybe??? so what is the proper amount for 6 fish and an algae eater in one tank--???

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isabella: It's an excellent idea to dip your fish out and not pour the fish store water in your tank. Maybe there were eggs in the water and they clung to the fish, who knows. Sometimes snails show up like they appear out of thin air.

adlegl: I know alot of people who feed their fish 1 small meal each day and their fish are beautiful. But because I'm such a sucker for cavorting fish ;D I feed twice a day and usually overfeed. I can't resist my clown loaches sticking their snouts out of the water for "just one more bite" of food from my fingers. This is what I do: I change 25% water or better of each tank every week. then the 75G which is the one I overfeed most often I do a quick bottom vac mid-week because I have 2-6inch clown loaches and an 8 inch rhino pleco that live on the bottom and they are such big poo makers ESPECIALLY if they eat alot.

So I would say cut down the amount at each feeding and wait a month and see what happens. Isabella keep us posted. this would be a good experiment. Measure how much food you feed each day, (continue to dip them out)then see if the snails disappear or reduce in number. Hope that helps
Carol

FishFan

Valued Member
Reaction score
I couldn't help but laugh either, sorry guys. Maybe this is the reason I avoid getting real plants. The last thing I need is crummy snails! I have 3 snails, but I wuv them Good luck and I might suggest using a glass bottle with a wide mouth, sideways in the bottom. Good Luck, too!!!

mslane

Reaction score
I had snails in my tank, and I decided to get clown loaches. No snail problems now. Also, I think snails are hermaphrodites, and can reproduce by themselves. Clown loaches are helpful in other ways too, and they are very entertaining to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 15 39.5%

Top Bottom