Freshwater snails??????

1. adlegl Initiate Member

Recently I upgraded from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon freshwater tank. I moved the fish and algae eater over without incident. I added more fish that I had purchased at Petsmart. Approximately 2 months ago I noticed these small little black things in the water that looked like snails or slugs. I didn't pay them much attention. Now I have like 20 of them in my tank--they are very small but seem to be reproducing daily lol. I am not sure what they are and how to control them or how they got introduced into my tank anyways. What should I do? Does anyone know what they are? Please help :-\

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

If you have live plants,they are probably snails that hitched a ride. They are pests! If you have room for more fish, you could add 3 or 4 yo yo loaches, and your problem would be solved. Post what fish you already have in your tank, and a picture of the snails or slugs if you can. ;)

3. Jason Well Known Member Member

You could just squash them and the fish should just do the rest, or i think clown loaches also eat them.

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

I think one came in on one of my plants but i cant find him anymore. Can they keep reproducing if theres only one. The one i saw though was like brown and had a little shell

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I believe they can reproduce with only 1 snail, but I'm not positive. There are probably more snails in your tank than you think anyway. It's doubtful just 1 snail hitched a ride. ;)

6. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Yeah snails can be a real pain - they ate ALL my plants and I dont know how they got in there. I presume in a plant and yes, they can reproduce with just one of them :eek: Get a yo-yo loach or squash them for food although that seems so mean and a bit gross :-X

7. adlegl Initiate Member

Well I don't have any live plants in my tank. I have community fish. Don't remember the names but they are tetra's and i have one guppy and of course the algae eater. Total of 6 fish in my tank and 1 algae eater.

I've tried taking pictures. As soon as I can get one that turns out right I'll post it as well.

Do I need to get rid of them? Or just let them all co-exist?

8. fishfreak Member Member

sure

9. FishFan Member Member

Another way I've read to rid the snails in to put a bottle sideway on the bottom of your tank & by morning, they should all (or most) be in there & then dispose of them as you wish. I'd get them out-they'll keep reproducing & over take your tank. Good Luck.

10. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Yeah or put a peice of cucumber in the tank - they'll congregate on that and you can just scoop it out.

11. Jason Well Known Member Member

Really does that work??? I can seem to find that midget one I saw anymore

12. adlegl Initiate Member

I went back to petsmart to ask them about the snails they must have given me --and they suggested the same things ---to put a container in the bottom of your tank with holes big enough only for the snails to enter--and put shrimp pellets or zucchini in the container and then the snails should show enter there

well i tried it last night--my containers too big though--i'll buy a smaller one today--but let me tell you the minute those snails smelled that shrimp food they all started moving towards that container--if i had had it on its side and it was smaller i believe i would have had a container of snails this morning

thanks for all your advice and help ---i'll let you know what happens when i get the right container--

13. JustinT Initiate Member

It sounds like your technique is going to work, but if for some reason it doesn't get rid of all of them or they keep coming back, you could try putting in a solution that you can buy from most pet stores that kills invertebrates. I forget what it's called, but not only will it kill your snails, it will kill any shrimp that you may want to keep (if you have them). Also, if you have live plants, it may harm them as well, so you have to be careful. I hope the former technique works out for you, but I just thought I'd give you another option.

14. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I know they sell that stuff to kill snails, but it also kills fish. That would be the absolute last resort, and at the risk of killing your fish. You can also float lettuce in the tank and remove it in the morning with the snails on it.

15. Jason Well Known Member Member

Yeah adding more chemicals would be risky- I might use that container thing in the future- really useful

16. fletch Member Member

another fish that gets rid of snails is the green puffer fish. even if you have big snails. they like to grind their teeth on the snails and therefore kill them. The only trouble is that you always need snails in the tank to make sure the pufferfish dont die

17. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Puffers are great fish, but they are brackish, so keep that in mind. Also, like Fletch said, you always need snails in the tank for them to eat. Of course you should supplement their diet with other things, but if they don't keep their teeth grinded down by breaking snail shells, you have to manually cut their teeth with nail clippers, so they can be high maintenance fish. Also, malaysian trumpet snails can break their teeth which is not good, so you could only feed them the pond snails, or snails with softer shells.

18. adlegl Initiate Member

well i'm really outdone by these dang snails--grrrrrrrrrr---they are overwhelming---i tried the container thing and i think it would work if i could figure out the right one to use i guess---i had a few show up on the container but i walked away and by the time i got back they had moved off the container--so i tried floating the lettuce---it worked i had a few show up on the lettuce and i again walked past it cause i wanted to see if more would show up and when i came back they had left it also---so i tried putting the lettuce and the shrimp pellets in the container and none showed up---but they very happily were on the side of the tank waving at me and i do believe they were laughing at me as well---lol---so finally i just reached in the tank and pulled the little buggers out and disposed of them--that was the fastest way but i still didn't get them all--so i may still try to do the container thing so i can catch them more than one at a time---any suggestions on a container if anyone has done this in the past i'd appreciate the advice----i do believe this will become a continual battle---they are hiding in the rocks of my tank--in my castle--i ended up throwing all of my fake plants out because they covered the leaves on them---so i have just become a snail picker---:)

i can't really get any fish because i have a 20 gallon tank and have as many fish in it as i can--plus the thought of purchasing something to feed off of something live does not make me feel too good---but i do appreciate all the advice--i'd try the chemicals but i like my little fishes and don't want them to die before their time--so i guess i'll just be slowly picking them off one at a time---grrrrrrr

thanks

19. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Yeah thats what I did in the end.. you'll notice that even tho you've got rid of them all, a few will hatch a few weeks later so take them out as sooon as you notice them. They're such a nuisance! :-\

20. adlegl Initiate Member

what a horrible fiasco these snails turned out to be----i really suggest to all beginners if you see something foreign in your tank--don't just go--i don't know what it is-we'll just see what happens---because i had to pretty much rebuild a new tank to get rid of those snails and i don't know if i even did take care of them---i truly believe i had about 250-300 of them in my tank---i had to take out all my rocks and by new ones---i had to take out all my plants--i had to do a very thorough probably to aggressive water change--and my little castle thingy had to be taken out as well---there were so many snails--omg it was horrible--just horrible--anyways--please don't be like me and be ignorant---learn info before its too late---this website is a true blessing