Freshwater Scuds

1. emersongalicia

emersongalicia New Member Member

So I’ve posted this before and after a while of just living with it I’m over these guys! Freshwater Scuds. They’re clearly not harmful for my aquarium however my tank is infested! They are everywhere from my filter, gravel, driftwood and glass.

Is there a way to get rid of these guys without starting from scratch?

Option 1: drain tank, removed gravel and driftwood. Clean out filters and replace media. I would have to ask my LFS to hold my Oscar while I cycle the tank.

Option 2: rehouse my oscar fish and get a school of guppies, platies and zebras. I think they would make a feast of these guys.

Tank is a 75G running two Fluval 110 HOB filters.

Attached Files:

2. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

what are scuds. Never heard of them before

3. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Scuds are really healthy.

I have found that if you do it slowly, that oscars won’t attack tiny fish like guppies.

It’s kinda hard to do at first, but the oscar will probably soon realize that the guppies don’t give him enough energy to replenish what was required for the chase.

But I would regularly net out the scuds and sell them to people in your area.
    Scuds are really good for fish and you can make a lot of money.

4. CanadianJoeh

CanadianJoeh Well Known Member Member

I have a scud in my shrimp breeding tank!

If his cousins start overrunning the tank perhaps I'll start making some dried food....

5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I had 2 scuds in my Walstad shrimp jar.

Now I have like 20.

6. CanadianJoeh

CanadianJoeh Well Known Member Member

So far I've only seen 1 at a time! :0

Do they require a mating partner to breed or can they reproduce on their own :p

7. Rojer Ramjet

Rojer Ramjet Well Known Member Member

AKA Freshwater amphipod gammarus. A sign of good water quality... and overfeeding... lol Gots a few of them myself, on occasion.

8. OP
    OP
    emersongalicia

emersongalicia New Member Member

Definitely overfeed from time to time...followed by a water change. Lol I’m a victim of my own success. Lol jk