Freshwater sand?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by josh11551, Apr 10, 2010.

1. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

where and what type of sand should i get?

2. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

That may depend on a few factors such as the theme of the tank and whether or not you want to keep live plants. I have plain play sand in my goldfish tank that I bought at Home Depot. In my planted tropical tank, I invested in black flourite sand for the nutrients. I also really like the way that the black brings out the color in all of the fish and plants. I think it's definately worth the investment for black sand, whether it's plain or flourite. Just beware that whatever type of sand you get you'll need to spend a decent amount of time cleaning it up first.

3. leeishomValued MemberMember

if you want pure white of a color, try looking into quickrete medium commerical sand.
    its pre-washed and its safe for aquariums, so ive read. i might use it for my 125 gallon.

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I like pool filter sand, which is really cheap (50 lbs for $7). I also use the tahitian moon sand (20 lbs for $20) and others from that line (same as TMS).

I REALLY didn't like the play sand I got at homedepot. Most of the "softness" washed away when washing the sand and what I was left with was rather sharp.

5. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I've never used sand in my tanks but if I were to switch to sand, I'd go with pool filter sand first. From everything I've read it just seems to be much easier to clean and better for the fish.

Ken

6. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

where would i get pool filter sand? I have heard about using it before but didn't know if it was really ok. oh and also can i grow plants in pool filter sand?

7. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

If you do plan on growing plants in the tank, a lot of people here would probably recommend eco-complete. Like I said earlier, I use black flourite sand in my tank and I absolutely love it. Others wouldn't dare touch it because of the cleaning that's involved (but I didn't think it was that horrible). Eco-complete has larger grains so if you really want to stick with sand, the black flourite sand would work. My plants are doing fine in it and I haven't heard anything about one substrate being better than the other (between flourite sand and eco-complete) as far as plant growth is concerned.

8. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

You get pool filter sand at a swimming pool store :) I use and recommend it also. The only downside I noticed was with really big waste producers. They leave a mess and it really shows up.
    carol

9. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

can i get it at home depot? there is no pool stores around

10. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Lowe's Home Depot, Pool supply places. They should all have it.
    Ken

11. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

k thanks Ken

12. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Youll probably have to wait till they start putting out their pool stuff - they may not have the stuff on hand....mine didnt. i went to a pool store.

13. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

ok i will probably call tomorrow

14. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

Nobody has responded about plants in pool filter sand yet. I already gave my input about substrate for planted tanks but I have no experience with PFS. Can anyone else here help with that?

15. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

My tanks aren't planted.

16. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

thanks for pointing that out funkman262 i still need that part answered =]

17. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I think that it'll be fine. PFS is a larger diameter sand that does not compact like the finer sands do. But my knowledge of plants is minimal at best....

18. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

i am thinking of filling all of my tanks and my upcoming shrimp breeder tank(densly planted) with PFS

19. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I've got 3 tanks with PFS, 5 with TMS and 1 with moonlight sand. I'd like to do a dark (not black) sand next.

It's definitely the best bang for your buck. It's also not going to mess with the filters. My goldfish suck the sand into their mouths and spit it out at the surface. It goes straight to the bottom. The TMS also goes straight to the bottom, but I don't think its plant friendly. The moonlight sand is kicked up by fish swimming near the bottom, as it's VERY fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice