Freshwater Plant ID help required

PeterFishKeepin

Hi everybody,

There is a very small creek that goes through my street, I live in Australia

And I found loss of this plant all over it, the location is only a couple inches deep

I took a sample f the plant below is the photo

Any help with ID

I want to put in my fish tank or in my pond, it had taken over the creek so I'm wondering if it will take over like duck weed

It was rooted into the ground not floating plant

Sorry this is a photo of a photo
I can get better photos later today, sorry if they are a bit blurred
It sort of looks like, moneywort and Rotala Indica Green Rotundifolia

Any thoughts on what this plant is?

Attachments

• IMG_1723.JPG
    IMG_1723.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1727.JPG
    IMG_1727.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1728.JPG
    IMG_1728.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 11

RedOnion

Hi everybody,

There is a very small creek that goes through my street, I live in Australia

And I found loss of this plant all over it, the location is only a couple inches deep

I took a sample f the plant below is the photo

Any help with ID

I want to put in my fish tank or in my pond, it had taken over the creek so I'm wondering if it will take over like duck weed

It was rooted into the ground not floating plant

Sorry this is a photo of a photo
I can get better photos later today, sorry if they are a bit blurred
It sort of looks like, moneywort and Rotala Indica Green Rotundifolia

Any thoughts on what this plant is?

Lindernia rotundifolia?​

I just bought some of it from a store and it looks quite similar to yours.

GlennO

It does resemble Lindernia rotundifolia.

PeterFishKeepin

Thanks I did think is was a type of rotundifolia

Does it over grow like duckweed(I don't mean floating plant but if it grows over too quickly and can be annoying), is it consider a pest, can I plant in substrate

Thanks for your responses

RedOnion

Thanks I did think is was a type of rotundifolia

Does it over grow like duckweed(I don't mean floating plant but if it grows over too quickly and can be annoying), is it consider a pest, can I plant in substrate

Thanks for your responses
So far it has been growing for me relatively fast. Not as fast as duckweed for sure. I wouldnt call it a pest either because its fast but not too fast. I would plant in the substrate as it will root in there nicely and grow.

Flyfisha

Sorry PeterFishKeepin I can’t give you a name other than stem plant. If you can get it to transition to your tank water you will be fine.

There are many escaped aquarium plants in city waterways. The difficulty is knowing which ones are from cold water goldfish tanks and what can handle tropical water temperature all year round .

I live in the Southern highlands where the water is colder but there are still a few free plants to be had from lakes etc. I recently got some giant val from a local lake complete with dragon fly larvae. I have it sitting in a bucket of old tank water outside as basically a quarantine for a month. I used an algae chemical and some malachite green but am still unsure about putting it in an aquarium.
image.jpg
Good luck.

PeterFishKeepin

Oh, flyfisha that is really interesting, I'm only 15 but my parents own a holiday house in Bowral southern highlands and we spend quit a lot of time there and that is were I collected the plants I'm asking about

Would you be able to hint me some locations if they are close to Bowral thanks

Flyfisha

As I said in my earlier post many aquarium plants have escaped into waterways. That is the glue to finding plants to put back into an aquarium. Along with a few native plants you will find sold at nurseries study the aquatic weeds web sites. Many aquatic plants are illegal to sell but not illegal to have in your possession. NSW has it’s own set of rules about what can be sold, what can be in your possession and what can and can’t be moved around. The ACT has its own regulations on what can be sold at auction, what can be moved from one place to another. I mention this because even Amazon frogbit is illegal to sell in NSW but I am sure you will find it for sale in Petbarn. Java moss is the same. With parrots feather being a really common water weed worth having in any aquarium.

In short.
Start with this web site , of course there are lots more websites

Containing infestations of alligator weed in the Hunter Valley, NSW

and definitely consider native plants as well.

As far as where , just remember to ask the land owner if you are on private land.

edit
Here is a website on Asian milfoil but you may find the native milfoil even prettier ?

https://www.clean-flo.com/water-milfoil-control/

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishproblem
Replies
Views
pukuotas
Replies
Views
Fellowmellow
Replies