Freshwater newbie, injured Glofish

Twinklepebble

Hello! I am new to aquarium life, with a tank started as a gift to my now 7 year old in Christmas of ‘19. We have a 20gal tank with five Glofish (actually four and a white skirt tetra) and a late (and soon to be replaced) corydora. We initially had issues getting our tank to cycle but finally guessed one of our tank decorations might be leaching chemicals and things have been pretty smooth since. I found this site recently when one of the Glofish started having what appears to be a swim bladder issue. He then got caught in our silk plants and got quite injured, with internal bleeding and a damaged top fin. I did not think he would last a day but four days later the blood is no longer visible and he is still swimming and eating. However he spends most of his time lying on his side and seemingly trying to hide himself in our plants, or wedging himself into corners. Is this what fish do when they know they are dying? Or is it an instinct to hide themselves so they can peacefully heal? We tried adding stress coat and have isolated him in a mesh breeding tank so he can lie down in peace. I’m also trying a smashed pea in the hopes it helps with swim bladder. (Attaching two pics - one from three days ago and one today). Any ideas welcome! I just don’t want him to be suffering.

Attachments

• 53FFA97F-177B-4AB3-BE03-817A89BD990F.jpeg
    53FFA97F-177B-4AB3-BE03-817A89BD990F.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 43D15169-9955-4DF7-A011-53D7EB66A540.jpeg
    43D15169-9955-4DF7-A011-53D7EB66A540.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 15

Seamus111

Swim bladder, bloat many things can be helped with Epsom salt. The 100% pure type, not the type that is colored or has perfumes. I think a good recipe is a quarter teaspoon per 10 gal. of water. Epsom is not salt, but 100% Magnesium Sulfate. And is used to make water slightly harder if needed. It is good for many ailments. I use it often in my tanks because all life needs magnesium. If he goes between rocks etc. chances are it's normal to hide. Wounded animals in nature get picked off quickly. So for him it's just something he senses.

By the way, Cory's, (Corydora's) are a Schooling fish. And they stress out badly if the can't find their own specie. There are MANY specie of Cory's. Try to have at least five..... of the SAME specie. There are pygmy cory's also. They grow to about 1 inch. People don't realize how important it is to know what the needs are of each specie of fish they have.
Good Luck!

Twinklepebble

Thank you! I have some epsom salt actually and have tried a soak or two. Is it safe for the other fish to put some in the main tank or should it be a temporary soak in another container? Yes i was wondering if it was an evolutionary instinct to hide. If Twinkle makes it, we will be so elated. Thanks for the information.

Seamus111

YES......quite safe for all fish. As I said I use it in all my tanks as a mineral supplement. I edited the last message, please read up.

Twinklepebble

Thanks for the info on cories. I will look into alternative bottom feeders that can live solo. I’m glad to have this forum as a better source than Petco. I am also thinking of a nerite snail for brown algae...

Seamus111

Nerites are beautiful. They are in all salt waters..... but many move up river where they can become freshwater snails. All snails are part of our eco-friendly aquariums. When you see something at Petco, grab your phone and look it up. Find out what it needs etc. Some fish prefer cooler water some warmer. Some hard water and some soft. Some are aggressive, others shy. Aquariums are like puzzles. You need to find the perfect fit!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ButtercuptheOranda
Replies
Views
mimo91088
Replies
Views
ClearR2E054
Replies