Freshwater Neon Tetra & Betta

Marena

Reaction score
Hi! First time posting, I'm hoping this hasn't been answered too many times. I'm planning on starting a freshwater planted tank, and I'm really interested in a neon tetra and betta tank, but of course I have a lot of questions, as I've never done live planted and the last time I had a fish tank was when I was SUPER young and didn't even know about the nitrogen cycle. (I know now, of course!)

So. Question wise. Would you guys even recommended a Betta with neon tetras? I've seen some say it's absolutelyf but some say not to do it. If it is fine, should I have a completely set up neon tetra tank THEN introduce a Betta, or vice versa?

Next, anyone have any recommendations on substrate? Just a specific brand you like or find works really well. Same goes for lighting for your plants.

My last BIG one, what plants do you think would work for a tank like this, smaller carpeting ones for the substrate, large ferns?

Sorry for such newbie questions, I want this tank go be safe, and absolutely happy and want it to be a long lasting gorgeous tank. If you have any aquascapes you want to share of your tanks, that'd be phenomenal! I'm always into looking at inspiration for aquascapes.

Thank you in advance, once again sorry for the long post!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi! Welcome to Fishlore!

There are others here that can answer your questions better than I can... I'm more of a saltwater nerd. Anyhow, I also like neons and once almost planned a tank around them. What sticks out to me with your questions is that neons prefer much cooler temps than betta fish. The first thing you want to look at when planning a community is if the different species enjoy similar tank conditions.

I might suggest cardinal tetras instead, who like it warm, and am certainly no expert regarding community tanks that include a Betta... but I think you want to avoid bright colored fish with them so as to further reduce the chances of aggression.

Again, no expert in these regards, but hopefully I've helped a little and I'm sure you'll get better advice soon.

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello there,
It really depends on your betta. They all have different personalities and levels of tolerance for tankmates. I've definitely seen community betta tanks with cardinals, some shrimp and a betta and it worked just fine.
Maybe try to find an LFS that allows you to take back fish and try it out. If the betta doesn't tolerate them then that's the end to that.
I've always like tall ferns in planted betta tanks, and they would help give cover to the cardinals as well as the betta.
Stocking wise, I'm very sure that there are other more knowledgeable people that can help you out with that. I think neons don't have the same temperature range as bettas, but not too sure about that.
No expert in this field in any way but hope that this could be of some help.

Hi! Welcome to Fishlore!

There are others here that can answer your questions better than I can... I'm more of a saltwater nerd. Anyhow, I also like neons and once almost planned a tank around them. What sticks out to me with your questions is that neons prefer much cooler temps than betta fish. The first thing you want to look at when planning a community is if the different species enjoy similar tank conditions.

I might suggest cardinal tetras instead, who like it warm, and am certainly no expert regarding community tanks that include a Betta... but I think you want to avoid bright colored fish with them so as to further reduce the chances of aggression.

Again, no expert in these regards, but hopefully I've helped a little and I'm sure you'll get better advice soon.
Well, referring to the neon and cardinal temperature situation I guess we found out the answer to that haha!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello there,
It really depends on your betta. They all have different personalities and levels of tolerance for tankmates. I've definitely seen community betta tanks with cardinals, some shrimp and a betta and it worked just fine.
Maybe try to find an LFS that allows you to take back fish and try it out. If the betta doesn't tolerate them then that's the end to that.
I've always like tall ferns in planted betta tanks, and they would help give cover to the cardinals as well as the betta.
Stocking wise, I'm very sure that there are other more knowledgeable people that can help you out with that. I think neons don't have the same temperature range as bettas, but not too sure about that.
No expert in this field in any way but hope that this could be of some help.

Well, referring to the neon and cardinal temperature situation I guess we found out the answer to that haha!
Thanks! Well, this was in my early days here on Fishlore and the good folks here advised me to go with cardinals since I would also have a Dwarf Gourami, who also prefers a warmer tank. Thank goodness for Fishlore.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting ..didn't someone ask about bettas and tetras yesterday? What size aquarium are you planning to get? It will need to be bigger than you think so that the betta doesn't feel a need to terrorize others in his 'territory'. Some bettas are fine .. others will hunt and kill whatever is in their sphere. Sometimes a female betta works better in a community, sometimes not. I've had both. The male I had was in a 29 gallon community and he did fine. I would think you would need something larger than a 10 gallon for the best results.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with above. Cardinals would be better suited, and I think they are more beautiful too. I had neons with a betta, they got alone fine and never had any problems. The temperature was hotter than would have been ideal for them but they were completely fine tbh. As well as that, many people tend to have problems with neons. It seems they aren't as hardy as they used to be. Personally mine are some of my hardiest fish I've ever had.

So I'd recommend cardinals, add them first after the tank has fully cycled. Then add the betta. Also it's important to note that the tank shouldn't be too small, 20 gallon long would be good. Do you have one already? If so what's the size?

For substrate I just use standard aquarium gravel. If you want carpeting plants I believe a nutrient rich substrate would be better though I'll leave that to someone with more experience with them. For lighting I use a fluval aquasky 2.0 and my plants are great, honestly I never look into lights so again I'll leave that to someone else.

For plants, the easiest are java fern, java moss and anubias. The fern and anubias do best tied to rocks or wood. Anacharis is quite nice imo and water sprite grows fast and constantly. My favourite plant I have is my spiky moss, looks great and spreads fast. Amazon swords are quite nice but they need a deep substrate and root tabs. Really there's plenty of options but they would depend on whether you want low or high tech for them. I believe carpeting plants need extra work, good lights and co2 and the like.

You asked for pics of tanks, but really mine is nothing much to see. Just spiky moss going mad and growing all over my wood and taking over my java moss. There's plenty of people here with many great looking tanks though.

Marena

Reaction score
I agree with above. Cardinals would be better suited, and I think they are more beautiful too. I had neons with a betta, they got alone fine and never had any problems. The temperature was hotter than would have been ideal for them but they were completely fine tbh. As well as that, many people tend to have problems with neons. It seems they aren't as hardy as they used to be. Personally mine are some of my hardiest fish I've ever had.

So I'd recommend cardinals, add them first after the tank has fully cycled. Then add the betta. Also it's important to note that the tank shouldn't be too small, 20 gallon long would be good. Do you have one already? If so what's the size?

For substrate I just use standard aquarium gravel. If you want carpeting plants I believe a nutrient rich substrate would be better though I'll leave that to someone with more experience with them. For lighting I use a fluval aquasky 2.0 and my plants are great, honestly I never look into lights so again I'll leave that to someone else.

For plants, the easiest are java fern, java moss and anubias. The fern and anubias do best tied to rocks or wood. Anacharis is quite nice imo and water sprite grows fast and constantly. My favourite plant I have is my spiky moss, looks great and spreads fast. Amazon swords are quite nice but they need a deep substrate and root tabs. Really there's plenty of options but they would depend on whether you want low or high tech for them. I believe carpeting plants need extra work, good lights and co2 and the like.

You asked for pics of tanks, but really mine is nothing much to see. Just spiky moss going mad and growing all over my wood and taking over my java moss. There's plenty of people here with many great looking tanks though.
Thank you for your reply! I do have a 20 gal available that will be used. I should've added that! I'll for sure look into the Cardinals as it sounds like that's what is more recommended. Thanks for the recommendation in plants and lighting as well, it's really helpful. No problem on the picture end either, I just figured I'd ask in case anyone wanted to share as I've seen so many aquascapes, and love to see different ones on how people go about.

Interesting ..didn't someone ask about bettas and tetras yesterday? What size aquarium are you planning to get? It will need to be bigger than you think so that the betta doesn't feel a need to terrorize others in his 'territory'. Some bettas are fine .. others will hunt and kill whatever is in their sphere. Sometimes a female betta works better in a community, sometimes not. I've had both. The male I had was in a 29 gallon community and he did fine. I would think you would need something larger than a 10 gallon for the best results.
Thanks for the reply, I didn't see anything recent but I was also multi-tasking so I very well could have missed it before making a thread here. I'm prone to skimming way too fast sometimes, so my apologies. I have a 20 gal I can (and will most likely be the tank I do) use, but if you'd recommend larger I'll look into another. I'll look into female bettas as well, didn't think about that honoestly. Thank you!

Hi! Welcome to Fishlore!

Thank you for your response it seems others also also recommend the Cardinals so I'll be sure to triple check on everything for their requirements but it seems I should go for those. Thanks!

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you for your reply! I do have a 20 gal available that will be used. I should've added that! I'll for sure look into the Cardinals as it sounds like that's what is more recommended. Thanks for the recommendation in plants and lighting as well, it's really helpful. No problem on the picture end either, I just figured I'd ask in case anyone wanted to share as I've seen so many aquascapes, and love to see different ones on how people go about.
No problem at all. Hope all goes well on your end. Personally no betta I've ever had has been aggressive, I usually look for more passive ones too. I always see how they interact in the shop, if they act aggressively I don't get them.

Now that I think of it, every one of my bettas was with neons at one point or another. Two males were with my neons (separately of course) and they got on fine. Then my sorority of 5 females were with the same neons. Again they were fine. I always did regret not getting cardinals though. They're like bigger neons just with more colour and are more suitable too.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
love to see different ones on how people go about.
Teehee... here ya go.
https://tropica.com/en/inspiration/?mode=search&dif=Easy&size=&sizename=Show all&aquarium=

On the individual page for each layout here, you will find a map showing you how things are places and a legend telling you about the plants used.

Again... no pro, but I generally prefer sand but have found plants grow better for me when using a planted substrate. Eeek... stepping into things I shouldn't but if I am remembering correctly, planted substrates have an EIC rating and this refers to its ability for storing nutrients (your fertilizer) which are then available for roots to use. Sand and gravel do not achieve the same thing. Please do your own research and do not take my words as gold. I just know that the few plants I have grown better once I switched from sand to a planted substrate.

Marena

Reaction score
Teehee... here ya go.
https://tropica.com/en/inspiration/?mode=search&dif=Easy&size=&sizename=Show all&aquarium=

On the individual page for each layout here, you will find a map showing you how things are places and a legend telling you about the plants used.

Again... no pro, but I generally prefer sand but have found plants grow better for me when using a planted substrate. Eeek... stepping into things I shouldn't but if I am remembering correctly, planted substrates have an EIC rating and this refers to its ability for storing nutrients (your fertilizer) which are then available for roots to use. Sand and gravel do not achieve the same thing. Please do your own research and do not take my words as gold. I just know that the few plants I have grown better once I switched from sand to a planted substrate.
Hey thanks for the help! I'll for sure do loads of more research on my end, but regardless it really does help getting insight here so I have a stepping stone and have the right idea on where to go from the bare minimum of what I know.

WillR1496

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It really depends on your tank size. Tetras are schooling fish so you'll need a group of them. I personally have neon and Ember Tetras. I had them all swim in the tank for a few days before I introduced Escobar. When I did, I put him in the plastic bag that your fish come in and let him float in the tank for a little bit. I went this route so he doesn't feel that others are invading his space. At least this way he feels as he's in someone else's house in a sense. But they get along perfectly

HOWEVER, it also depends on the betta's personality. Mine was never aggressive. If your Betta shows any signs of aggression, then it may be a hit or miss with getting along with other fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom