"Freshwater" Moray Eels

Discussion in 'Brackish Fish' started by Furallicah, Apr 17, 2010.

1. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Hello everyone. I wanted to post this to learn as much as I can about the little fellows. So I'll start with a little back story. I went to my LFS the other day and they had litterally gotten a new shipment of fish in. They had a million bags acclimating in their tanks. Well I walked over the the little Oscar tanks to look at them when I saw something moveing behind a rock.....well it moved around the rock and came to the front of the glass to which I was stunned to be stairing a eel in the face. I asked the manager what it was and she said it was a freshwater Moray Eel. I got all excitted because I've been wanting an eel for a very long time. But not one of the fire eels or something similar I wanted an eel eel...lol. So I went home not having the $21 for him and did some research.....good thing I did! I was wondering if they really were freshwater but appon my research it appears they are brackish creatures. And need a water mixture 1/4 to 1/2 the salinity of sea water. And they can grow to around 3ft :eek: Well needless to say I still WANT ONE! lol. I have a 25gal right now which my Oranda and Lionhead are about to move out of. I know a 25gal isnt big enough but I am upgrading that to a 120gal this upcomming fall. So I figure a 25gal would make for a good Q-tank until I can get the 120gal.

So heres my questions.
    1. I know they will eat anything that can fit in their mouth, so what else could I stock with them...seeing its Brackish I'm not sure myself...
    2. If there isnt really anything else to stock in the tank with it, do you think it would be fine in a 40gal long?
    3. Is there anyone on fishlore that knows a lot about these little guys?

Thanks in advance!

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I dont think a 40 would work for very long.

3. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Well, like I said. More then likely it would stay in the 25gal for about two months then move to a 75gal or 120gal. Depends what I can afford.

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Is that the same 120 you plan to put your goldfish in?

5. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Nope they get the 40gal to them selfs. And I think I'll shut down the 25gal...starting to run out of room

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice