Freshwater marine tank

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by baggy007, Jan 6, 2013.

1. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

hi guys:)

just been looking at Mikes aquarium ( amazing ) and ive been inspired to put into plan an idea i had a while ago
    i wanted a FW tank that might pass as a marine tank,i dont have the funds, time or know how for a marine

so heres my plan for a rock pool tank:)

i have a 7g nano looking tank, should have an instant cycle from sponge filter in other tank

it would have sand bottom, i have some tufta rock in another tank which looks very similar to live rock, they have algae all over them, maybe some jungle vals at the back to mimic kelp and some subwassertang to mimic seaweed

i can get some dead/fake coral and some fake anenome`s

i plan to have snails and shrimp as the inhabitants with maybe a goby of some sort, im going away tomorrow so i have time to plan this properly :)

do you think this could be pulled off?

any comments/suggestions welcomed :)

thanks

2. JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

sounds fun :) have a blast doing it. maybe cherry reds? at least they're the same color as the peppermint shrimp :D otherwise it sounds great. Post pics please

3. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

thank you:)

yeah i want the fauna to look like marine creatures if i can, i thought rcs, mts and some horned nerites

i looked into a dwarf puffer to but might be a problem with the shrimp idk

yes pics are a must;)

4. JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

don't dwarf puffers eat snails? and I thought they were brakish. anyhoo.
    what type of goby will you put in :)

5. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

dont know about the snail eating but you can get FW puffers and they look the same

i am going to look into the gobies ( suggestions;) ) i would like a small fish that looked like a reef fish and ive heard some of these do even if i have just 1 amazing fish in there:)

6. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

I would never want to discourage anyone from trying stuff, but from a design perspective I've seen this done many times before and unfortunately, they all end up looking rather strange and relatively fake.

But hey, maybe you'll nail it and it'll look awesome! :) Good luck!

7. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

well way to put a downer on my idea, thanks orion:(

nope just kidding:;laughing

if it all goes wrong i will just bung a load of plants in and have a shrimp tank:)

what size tanks have you seen this tried in?

mine will look awsome and then everyone will want 1 :D

8. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Keep us posted on your progress. You will not know if you do not try. :)

Ken

9. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

will do

thanks ken :)

10. RPPhotoNew MemberMember

u could go with maybe 2 shellie cichlids , you would have to keep a close eye on ph and ammonia, or have excellent turn over/filtration for it ..

11. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

hi guys:)

im just off to the lfs to get some supplies to get this tank on the go, i should really make a list but i think i will just see what i get;)

but no livestock yet still havnt quite got that sorted yet:p

12. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

hi guys

well this must be the quickest ive set a tank up;)

1st scape and im quite happy with it, will post some better pics when it clears up

i might actually pull this off ;)

Attached Files:

13. ayladWell Known MemberMember

I'm not a reefkeeper, so it's not like I'm a connoisseur of this sort of thing, but it's convincing to me, at least. ;)

14. CatfishJackWell Known MemberMember

If I had not read the thread, I would have thought that to be a salt tank! good job

15. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

thanks guys:)

just put my seeded sponge filter in to get it on its way, im going to get a nerite tomorrow to help keep the cycle going untill i start stocking, im also going to leave the lights on for 12hrs a day so the algae can build up

i still want rcs in there but any suggestions as for small marine looking fish?

the only plant im going to put in is some java moss and maybe marimo balls

any suggestions welcomed

thanks

16. CatfishJackWell Known MemberMember

17. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

i did think of them but i dont think i have enough space as they are social fish and i would need at least 4 of them

thanks for the suggestion though;)

keep em coming;)

18. baggy007Well Known MemberMember

heres a few pics, its cleared up nicely

Attached Files:

19. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

looks real! Good job

20. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Oh wow I actually did a double takeon this! Really well done :) and swamp darters actually move like the saltwater gobies I wantto get... kinda cool looking dudes :)