Freshwater Lionfish (the salt water variety) might be a possibility....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by goofster, Jul 22, 2014.

1. goofster

goofster Valued Member Member

Scientistsblownawayby6thgradersfishproject.jpg

Code:
    Using only six fish and six tanks, she was able to demonstrate something entirely unknown thus far: Lionfish can survive in nearly fresh water.
    Source:  

What do you guys think? I would love some freshwater lionfish (not the toadfish)! I always wanted one, but prefer a highly planted tank to coral! They would be amazing in a 75 gallon highly planted tank! Best guppy culling ever!

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I think the key word here is survive, not thrive.
    I wouldn't do it even as an experiment

3. OP
    OP
    goofster

goofster Valued Member Member

I think they will adapt over the years and it'll be possible if this is true. Maybe 5 years from now. :) I wouldn't experiment until there was a proven strand.

4. Fishboy123

Fishboy123 Valued Member Member

Doesn't sound like a good thing for the lion fish, but this is very neat! I would have to agree that it would be very stunning in a planted tank

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. K

Kuhligirl93 Valued Member Member

They're already a highly invasive species. Them adapting to survive in freshwater sounds like a recipe for ecological disaster...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice