Freshwater Hermit Crab??

Sage Exotics

I absolutely adore hermit crabs, I find them so adorable <3. I own two land hermit crabs and think they’re awesome! I thought all aquatic hermit crabs were saltwater, but then I heard of freshwater hermit crabs and hermies being able to live in freshwater. I looked it up but couldn’t really find any info on them, but it looks like it’s possible. So are there freshwater hermit crabs? If so, does anyone know how to care for them? Thanks!

david1978

They exist but good luck buying one.

Fanatic

Land Hermit Crabs (Coenobita) can live only on land most of their lives, but they will need a balanced use of freshwater and saltwater.
These types of crabs need a large enough tank for the amount you own, which would range in the size no larger than a 20 gallon.

I own seven land crabs, and I really love them too.
My tank is 55 gallons, but that's only because I have seven.

Sage Exotics

Darn!
I own two in a 20 long, Murdoch and Lucia. They have a large saltwater dish in the middle and two smaller freshwater dishes on either side of the habitat, they have deep soil, two caves, a log they can go under and climb through the little hole, a vine/branch type thing they can climb, scattered fake plants, and some slightly bigger to much bigger shells lying around! I find them so great too!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Fishpuns
Replies
Views
WagglePets
Replies
Views