Freshwater Flounder

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by RudeeRu, May 10, 2006.

1. RudeeRu

RudeeRuValued MemberMember

Aloha! Just curious if anyone has had any experience with these guys? I saw them at PetCo, hadn't ever seen them before! The guy said that they stay small (the ones in their tank were 2 inches), and they were peaceful. I went home and researched them and found out that while they do stay small-ish (up to 4-6 inches), they can terrorize your invertebrates once the lights are out! Now I don't plan on getting one (I love my snails and shrimp), but was just curious! Thanks!

2. vin

vinWell Known MemberMember

If at all like their saltwater cousins, they will terrorize the shrimp and snails....

3. MaryPa

MaryPaNew MemberMember

Yes they will eat your inverts but they`re such awesome additions to my tank. They do require a sand substrate to bury themselves in. They`re very slow growers but can reach up tp 6". They love frozen and live foods. Mine are in a 125 @80f with a pH of 5.9-6.0. I love my Flounder.

4. OP
    OP
    RudeeRu

That's cool! I was just curious if anyone had them! They did look pretty cool to watch on the glass.

5. MaryPa

MaryPaNew MemberMember

Mine rarely get on the glass,they mostly stay buried in the sand until I feed them live food,then they just start aggressivly eating. I have seen them just sitting on the driftwood once in awhile. If the bottom dwellers get too frisky then they climb the glass.

6. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Maybe their not really Flounder. Maybe their Hillstream Loaches. does it look like this?

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    RudeeRu

Nope, they were definitely flounders, they didn't look like that

8. vin

vinWell Known MemberMember

Here they are...Very cool looking fish! Look just like their saltwater cousins....

9. Butterfly

Thats really cool!!! Didn't realize they would get on the glass tho. Thats why I thought they were maybe mis-labeled.
    About half way down the page are pictures of Hillstream loaches(they called them borneo suckers) and cautioned not to confuse them.
    Carol

10. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Sweet fish! 8)

11. ebbandflow

ebbandflowValued MemberMember

That's a flounder?? Weird...

12. luper

luperNew MemberMember

those arent flounder are they? B/c they got like two circles it looks like where flounderj sut have one.. i dunno i read an aticle that they looked simular but werent or soemthing.. my two cents

13. Butterfly

luper: What rudeeru is looking at and asking questions about is fresh water flounder.
    the pictures I posted are Hillstream Loaches. They go by many names(Borneo Suckers, hong Kong plecs, fresh water flounder, stingrays etc.) are are often confused for other fish. Thats why I posted the pics, to get clarifivation :)
    But rudeeru really was talking about real freshwater flounders.
    Carol