Freshwater flatfish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by ThatOneAquarist, Jul 26, 2015.

1. ThatOneAquaristValued MemberMember

Im looking for something like a flounder that can live entirely in freshwater, something that will stir up my sand and keep air from getting trapped for too long. Ive been researching a little but one place says one fish is freshwater and another says its brackish, if anyone knows of a fish that will bottom dwell and stir up my sand occasionally please do speak up. thanks

2. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Don't know of a fish, but a lot of people on the forum seem to keep Malaysian Trumpet Snails for that purpose. Alison

3. OP
    OP
    T

ThatOneAquaristValued MemberMember

Yeah I was looking at those, perfect besides the risk of them taking over a tank

4. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

The risk of them "taking over a tank" is largely overstated. I keep them in all of my tanks and have for years. Their population will stabilize based on how much you're feeding. The only time you're going to see a huge population explosion is if you're either feeding too much or not keeping the tank clean enough.

5. OP
    OP
    T

Good to know, thanks for the info. Im probably going to get a freshwater lobster or something like that so if they do get out of control they'll get taken care of.

6. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfishWell Known MemberMember

Khuli loach will stir the substrate, and they look really cool, their not flat though.

7. OP
    OP
    T

Oh yeah ive heard of those, they burrow right? I was looking at the hillstream loaches because they are more available than soles, tonguefish ect. (all of which are best in brackish) ill look into those

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

The hillstream loach prefers cool, fast flowing water. Kuhli loaches would do better in a tropical aquarium.

9. OP
    OP
    T

I have read some do like cooler water, but like I said I was just looking I hadn't decided. At this point im just looking for more exotic fish to stock my newest tank. some that will keep the bottom clean (flatfish don't eat algae I know this). Im really just looking for a good online fish store at this point

10. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Lobsters would probably try to eat your fish, it's definitely risky if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yes, crayfish will eat your fish, I wouldn't get them.

12. Granamyr

GranamyrValued MemberMember

The whole geophagus fish type takes sand in it's mouth all the time and stirs the sand up quite well. They don't burrow like the other fish you've mentioned, but unless you have 2"+ of sand they would do a good job of keeping it stirred up as well.

13. OP
    OP
    T

Oh that's a good idea, thanks!

14. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What size tank do you have? Some Geophagus can get pretty large.

15. OP
    OP
    T

It's a 55 gallon, I'll be sure to research what I get before I make any final decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice