Freshwater Fish That Look Like Saltwater Fish

FoulFishes
Any Suggestions? I have no experience with saltwater fish, but they sure make for some marvelous aquariums!

Platylover
Pipe fish look like SW, well, pipefish. Peacock gudgeons and other gobies/gudgeons should look pretty similar to some Saltwater fish and Saltwater gobies.

Demeter
I work in a pet store with a lqrger African cichlid tank. People often mistake it for saltwater.

Mary765
If you're looking for a classic sw look then the tiny freshwater pea puffer may be for you!

CanadianFishFan
If you're looking for a classic sw look then the tiny freshwater pea puffer may be for you!
So true any puffer looks like saltwater to people!

Fishoholic23
CanadianFishFan
Maybe even so of the more colorful shrimp look like sw.

Mary765
So true any puffer looks like saltwater to people!

I just thought I would throw it out there because I love the little guys and am getting one in a few weeks (after exams)

CanadianFishFan
I just thought I would throw it out there because I love the little guys and am getting one in a few weeks (after exams)
They are cute! Definitely a future fish idea for me.

lol
Mbuna. They're African cichlids found in the freshwater Lake Malawi. Examples include Labidochromis caeruleus, Pseudotropheus demasoni, Cynotilapia afra, and many, many more. These cichlids are often very brightly coloured, especially with vibrant yellows, blues, and whites, which are otherwise not seen all too often in freshwater aquariums. Their colouration makes it hard to believe that they aren't saltwater fish at all! The only downside is that they are known for their aggression and territorial behaviour.

Of course, there are fish like pufferfish and pipefish that look very similar to their saltwater counterparts, but assuming OP is looking for freshwater fish that rival the flawlessly beautiful colouration of commonly-kept saltwater fish, I think Mbuna are the best candidate.

Lorekeeper
Honestly, Mbuna are about your best bet. There aren't many other fish in Freshwater that'll give you the same color as SW.

Why not just start a saltwater tank though? Is there something that's really putting you off from the salty side?

david1978
Platylover
Would mollies count?
Probably not, or at least not technically since they are Saltwater themselves. But it is a good idea considering they can live in SW.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
col7on
  • Question
Replies
Views
wishuponafish
Replies
Views
MJDuti
  • Question