Freshwater Fish That Look Like Saltwater Fish

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pipe fish look like SW, well, pipefish. Peacock gudgeons and other gobies/gudgeons should look pretty similar to some SW fish and SW gobies.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CanadianFishFan said:
So true any puffer looks like saltwater to people!
I just thought I would throw it out there because I love the little guys and am getting one in a few weeks (after exams)

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mary765 said:
I just thought I would throw it out there because I love the little guys and am getting one in a few weeks (after exams)
They are cute! Definitely a future fish idea for me.

lol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mbuna. They're African cichlids found in the freshwater Lake Malawi. Examples include Labidochromis caeruleus, Pseudotropheus demasoni, Cynotilapia afra, and many, many more. These cichlids are often very brightly coloured, especially with vibrant yellows, blues, and whites, which are otherwise not seen all too often in freshwater aquariums. Their colouration makes it hard to believe that they aren't saltwater fish at all! The only downside is that they are known for their aggression and territorial behaviour.

Of course, there are fish like pufferfish and pipefish that look very similar to their saltwater counterparts, but assuming OP is looking for freshwater fish that rival the flawlessly beautiful colouration of commonly-kept saltwater fish, I think Mbuna are the best candidate.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Honestly, Mbuna are about your best bet. There aren't many other fish in FW that'll give you the same color as SW.

Why not just start a saltwater tank though? Is there something that's really putting you off from the salty side?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
david1978 said:
Would mollies count?
Probably not, or at least not technically since they are SW themselves. But it is a good idea considering they can live in SW.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom