5 Gallon Tank Freshwater fish & plants for cold water?

hydrogen

Reaction score
Before any super experienced aquarium "pro" comes in and has a rant directed at inexperienced people like me ;) I would like to say I am new to this all :)

I was looking to get a tropical fish however terms have changed and I'm looking for a freshwater species I can keep in a 5 gallon tank? I've seen a lot of people keep dwarf crayfish in them so could I?

If not what other freshwater fish could I keep in a 5 gallon or less :) Also could you keep any in bowl tanks, I'm not a fan of them but if some fish can live in them and be okay I'm okay!

Morpheus1967

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't go any smaller than 5 gallons. Water chemistry can go bad really quickly when you are only dealing with 5 gallons.

Do bettas interest you at at? You could do a nice setup in a 5 gallon tank for a single male betta.

Also, read this. It helps explain the nitrogen cycle., which you will need to know. And welcome to fish keeping!

Nitrogen Cycle

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
You’ll need a heater if you want tropical fish. There’s a few that can be kept in temperate room temp water but not too many.
Id say that starting the hobby in a 5 gallon tank is a recipe for failure. Not bashing you or trying to insult you so please don’t take it that way.
say you make a mistake and you will. I do and I’ve been keeping fish for 27 years. It happens. Say you make that mistake in a 75 gallon tank you have 75 gallons of water to dilute that mistake. Now that same mistake happens in a 5 gallon tank it’s much more serious and deadly.
You can keep some shrimp and there are nano fresh water fish. It’s kind of a personal choice. I’d talk with a LFS and find out what your water is like. Mainly find out if you have any ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and find out your PH and KH. If the first three are 0 that’s good. If your ph is neutral and your KH normal tou should be good to go. Many nano fish like neutral to slightly acidic water.

OP
hydrogen

hydrogen

Reaction score
Oh my -

I'm sorry I called this thread freshwater, I meant coldwater! I'm a newbie :(

Time for a new thread as this might get too confusing..

ojdgtjc

Reaction score
bettas can stand cooler temps, but it is always better to have a heater in the tank. the only fish that comes to my mind is the white cloud mountain minnow. I guess at maximum you could put 3 white clouds in there. I hear they get 1.5 inches but that takes a long time to get them that big. they are like the coldwater neon tetra when it comes to size and behavior. they like to school and require a minimum of 5 gallons but prefer a 10 gallon.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Try Asian Stone Catfish. You can actually keep a small group in a 5 gallon, 2-4 should be just fine. They have extremely low bioload, stay tiny (~1 inch) and are not at all hyperactive. They are somewhere between coldwater and temperate in that warm temperatures are actually bad for them, room temp is just perfect, a little lower is also fine.
I would strongly suggest you get some plants in a tank that small to help keep parameters healthy.

Edit: Oh and shrimp, red cherries do fine in unheated tanks as well.

OP
hydrogen

hydrogen

Reaction score
I'm looking to get into keeping fish, I've always been interested but never been able to do it! I'm looking for cold water fish that could live *happily* in a nano tank 5 gallon and under?

Another question: Would Dwarf Crayfish be able to live in this sort of a setting? :)

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Theres a good link david posted that has a nice list. And pascalkrypt offered a cute suggestion too.

I'm just wanting to say hI and welcome

OP
hydrogen

hydrogen

Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
Try Asian Stone Catfish. You can actually keep a small group in a 5 gallon, 2-4 should be just fine. They have extremely low bioload, stay tiny (~1 inch) and are not at all hyperactive. They are somewhere between coldwater and temperate in that warm temperatures are actually bad for them, room temp is just perfect, a little lower is also fine.
I would strongly suggest you get some plants in a tank that small to help keep parameters healthy.

Edit: Oh and shrimp, red cherries do fine in unheated tanks as well.
Thanks so much, I was planning to get some plants just as a way to keep water levels a little bit better!

Morpheus1967 said:
Then that limits you even more. Maybe a couple of white clouds?
I've been looking at these fish for a while, a lot of things online say they need gallons and gallons of water :(

OP
hydrogen

hydrogen

Reaction score
Oh :D I'm guessing a 5 gallon with maybe 5 or 4 WCMM would be pretty stocked. I could consider going up to 10 I'm not too sure. Right now WCMM and Dwarf Crayfish look like hardy and good nano tank choices!

could anyone give me some help on deciding on what tank size would be best for a few WCMM and maybe a Dwarf Crayfish? I think 5 gallons is way to small but I'm new so..

OP
hydrogen

hydrogen

Reaction score
Hi! I've been interested in keeping a nano-tank for some time :) I found a glass 5 gallon fishbowl for a reasonable price and I'm hoping to turn it into a planted aquarium!!

The fishbowl is pretty big considering most are 1.5 - 2 gallons (which I would never want to keep a living thing in). The fishbowl won't have a filter, and I'll keep coldwater fish *so no heater*.

A few questions..

1) What coldwater fish // other species could I keep in a 5 gallon, planted fishbowl. ( No filter as I'm hoping weekly water changes and plants will filter amonia, nitrates and nitrites )

2) What begginer plants could be easy and maintainable? ( Also any plants that could suit certain fish // other ).

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hydrogen said:
Hi! I've been interested in keeping a nano-tank for some time :) I found a glass 5 gallon fishbowl for a reasonable price and I'm hoping to turn it into a planted aquarium!!

The fishbowl is pretty big considering most are 1.5 - 2 gallons (which I would never want to keep a living thing in). The fishbowl won't have a filter, and I'll keep coldwater fish *so no heater*.

A few questions..

1) What coldwater fish // other species could I keep in a 5 gallon, planted fishbowl. ( No filter as I'm hoping weekly water changes and plants will filter amonia, nitrates and nitrites )

2) What begginer plants could be easy and maintainable? ( Also any plants that could suit certain fish // other ).
Hi, you could easily keep a dwarf crayfish in a tank like that (kind of controversial but most crayfish don't need a filter if you're committed to water changes and have plants because they aren't super messy with food). As far as plants go, my go to beginner plants are Anubias nana, java fern, hornwort, guppy grass (najas grass), moss balls, java moss, Christmas Moss, and duckweed if floating plants interest you. If you go the crayfish route they will love the java and Christmas Moss.

New Threads