Freshwater Fish Newbie

Nikki Tognetti

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just purchased my 1st aquarium (Topfin) 29 gallon. Right now I am cycling it for now. I've been doing research and I hope I got it right as my list of fish to add to it when it is finished cycling and perfect levels add fish and plants.
The water is consistent 78°
There is the fish, other animals, and plants that I am looking to add:
1 Betta Male
5 Panda Cory Catfish
10 Red or black neons
10 Harlequin Rasboras

Other animals:

10 Ghost shrimp
4 African pygmy frog
10 Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Plants:

Water Sprite
Java Fern
Amazon Sword

This is just my list, I have not purchased these yet. I would like any comments, criticisms, or helpful hints if I did my research and correct on the proper fish and so. Thank you, I appreciate any help I can get.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would up the number in one of your schools and get rid of the other school. You'll find that they look better as one type in a school. Also make sure you have sand for the corydoras, and the frogs. Gravel could damage the sensitive barbels and underbellys of these species. Lastly, i know betta splendens are pretty, but they don't do awesome in a community. You could maybe do a female betta splendens, but stay away from the males. They tend to get stress more easily especially with e current blowing them around

Nikki Tognetti

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yup I know about the sand for the frogs and cory. Great tip on just having one mid level school. I think I'll go with rasboras then. And if the betta don't get along with them - no worries I had a nice 2.5 gallon ready to re-home him. Thank you for you help!

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You might be able to add a few more corys too if you want. I'd add 7-8.

Edit: 7-8 total. Not 12-13 lol.

Nikki Tognetti

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After much thought about whether to have a community tank with my Dumbo half-moon betta who I have come to treasure greatly, I don't want to put him under any stress whatsoever. Oh his name is Mr B and I simply enjoy watching him and don't want anything bad happen him whatsoever. Soooo... He will enjoy his peaceful existence in the 2.5 gal until I graduate him 10 or 15 gal around Christmas. But now I have the 29 that still cycling of course. Now I have a multiple of different choices now on what to put in the aquarium.

I would love some suggestions on great species to coexist together. Well I often do more research. I have a month of cycling the tank to make my list and save my money up. .

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom