Freshwater fiddler crabs

1. 5150Jim Initiate Member

I was at Wal-Mart today & my daughter saw some freshwater fiddler crabs for sale. I don’t usually buy any fish from Wally world because they never have anyone that really knows how to care for them.
    Well I downloaded a PDF from PetCo & nowhere in the PDF does it say they need to get out of the water. I think I have asked about this before about the Red Claw Crabs but would freshwater fiddler crabs live in my 50g tank along with my 1 Bamboo Shrimp, 2 Bala Sharks, 1 Power Blue Dwarf Gourami, 2 Golden Gouramis, 2 Opaline Gouramis, 1 Chinese Algae Eater, 1 Pleco, 2 Neon Gouramis & a 3 spot Gourami.
    Do they need to get out of the water from time to time?

2. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

I would say NO.

These little fiddler crabs DO need access to air, they are not entirely fresh water, rather they are a actually brackish water species.

If you would like to set them up with a real home, a 10 gallon minimum size tank with an area to get out of the water is necessary for a healthy life.

Here are some links that may help.
    http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/rarespecies/a/fiddlercrabs.htm
    http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug, Fiddler Crabs.htm

The petco pdf that I read does state under housing that they do need to get out of the water, but unfortunately, they overlooked the need for brackish water.

3. Taitertot Member Member

I would advise against it, i mainly dabble in crustaceans, but with the fish you mentioned sounds you have normal water, to keep fiddlers fresh you need enormous amounts of shells and "crushed coral" substrate, and more than a medical level dosing of aquarium salt. Brackish is the best but I'm lazy and cheap. For doing fiddlers like me ocean shells or cc are the most key component. Access to air is a must and not debateble, fiddlers are more prone to be in the water than rcc which ive found to be pretty terresterial. For fc in my opinion a 10 cm square platform works with a very easy way to climb up there, in a 50g this would be tough. the only fish i would recommend with them are pristella tetras or maybe mollies but my tank isn't big enough for a molly. So with the fish and tank you have i would suggest against. PS you probably know this but never believe walmart or petco care sheet

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Yes, the misinformation around the mini crab is one of the areas about this hobby that needs attention. They are constantly sold as fully aquatic pets, but they are not fully aquatic. Put them in a tank with no access to land and they will find some. They'll do everything they can to get out of the tank, and they often succeed. Mini crabs do best in a habitat designed specifically for them.