Freshwater Feeding Guppies Question 

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Heyo! Today I have a question about feeding. I have a 10 Gallon, with 6 guppies in it. My mom has noticed them swimming near the top, and she thinks they are scanning for food. I feed them daily, and I try to not feed too much, b/c I fear ammonia spikes. What is the behavior?

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppies are primarily surface feeders so they tend to swim around at the surface poking at bubbles or debris in case it's food. My guppies tend to hang out in the top 6 inches of the tank, although they occasionally dive down to peck at algae and any flakes that made it through the surface feeding maelstrom.

I don't think it necessarily means they're underfed, but you can try dropping in a bit more food and see if it's immediately consumed or if they let it sink to the bottom.

KoiBettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Guppies will try eat most stuff because they think it's food and guppies swim at the top of the tank even if they're not hungry. Is the tank aerated enough? Could you post a photo just so we can get an idea of what the tank looks like

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Fish will always act hungry.

In the wild, fish never really know where their next meal will come from. They may only eat every 2-3 days. In the aquarium environment they are spoiled with daily feedings, sometimes multiple times per day. A lot of fish, due to their dietary behaviors and biology, do not have a mechanism to tell them "I'm full, stop eating" and can eat themselves to death.

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thequietman44 said:
Guppies are primarily surface feeders so they tend to swim around at the surface poking at bubbles or debris in case it's food. My guppies tend to hang out in the top 6 inches of the tank, although they occasionally dive down to peck at algae and any flakes that made it through the surface feeding maelstrom.

I don't think it necessarily means they're underfed, but you can try dropping in a bit more food and see if it's immediately consumed or if they let it sink to the bottom.
Good idea. I will try that, and see what happens.

KoiBettas said:
Guppies will try eat most stuff because they think it's food and guppies swim at the top of the tank even if they're not hungry. Is the tank aerated enough? Could you post a photo just so we can get an idea of what the tank looks like
The tank is filtered, and aerated. I am using a whisper air pump, and have put it in the middle of a decoration. It looks like a giant tree. I'll post a picture soon.

Fahn said:
Fish will always act hungry.

In the wild, fish never really know where their next meal will come from. They may only eat every 2-3 days. In the aquarium environment they are spoiled with daily feedings, sometimes multiple times per day. A lot of fish, due to their dietary behaviors and biology, do not have a mechanism to tell them "I'm full, stop eating" and can eat themselves to death.
Yikes! I don't want that happening. Should I feed them every day? Thanks for the info EVERYONE!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
SomeoneFISHy it's fine to feed them everyday, just in moderation. I feed my fish every other day but I also feed primarily frozen foods.

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Odd question, but how can i tell if my fish is "fat," or overweight. They did have a male, but he died of natural causes. The females are producing signs of pregnancy, but they get fed daily.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
SomeoneFISHy said:
Odd question, but how can i tell if my fish is "fat," or overweight. They did have a male, but he died of natural causes. The females are producing signs of pregnancy, but they get fed daily.
They'll look like they swallowed a beach ball lol

blue velvet keeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
SomeoneFISHy said:
my sister had a guppy that looked obeise but gave birth to 30-70 fry we called her big moma lol

KoiBettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
SomeoneFISHy said:
They'll look like my betta fry lol. Big bellies (Dont feed that much unless it's live foods)
IMG_20190423_210529.jpg
IMG_20190423_210526.jpg

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mine have a stomach of similar size, but it is more rounded.

KoiBettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
SomeoneFISHy said:
Mine have a stomach of similar size, but it is more rounded.
That's just how a bettas stomach looks when they're still young so don't mind that.

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh, ok.

Bwever

Reaction score
thequietman44 said:

Thank you .i just transfered my females to a new tank and that is what they are doing. First time guppie mom

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom