Help Freshwater Cycling Problem

Taybaymonay

Reaction score
Okay so, I have a 1lb pet bass and bluegill. In a 55 gallon tank. And I put them in it because I knew they were pretty hearty fish and I knew I could do the nitrogen cycle which I’m not really familiar with with them in it because I caught them from a pond. I have a few pictures of the test that I just did after 55 to 60% water change and I’m not really quite sure what to do. Have had the tank going for a couple weeks now. And I have a heater and two filters going. I feed them about 10 medium goldfish a day. And I only have black sand in the bottom. Not quite sure why my ammonia is so high. But I need all the help I can get.
2A434BC6-7F95-42E3-A057-D95CA2B1B2E2.jpeg

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You need to do another massive water change. As much as you can but still leaving the fish covered. You ammonia is so high it's off the chart. And if this is after a 50% change then it must have really been bad. What do you use to condition your water?

JamieLu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well, u need to do another water change, thats really high ammo. And ur ammonia is prob so high cuz u got too much bioload goin on with no beneficial bacteria really established yet. Keep ammo below 1ppm ideally. Im not really sure y u think those fish are hardy cuz they came from a pond? But hopefully itll work out for u

Taybaymonay

Reaction score
I just did a water change like a hour ago and those were the results after filling it up. Do I need to take it all the way back down till they’re covered?

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you tested your tap water?

Any ammonia is bad for a fish. And anything over 1ppm is really bad. Your tank is over 8, and that is after a water change. That tells me the ammonia was at least 16 if you just did a 50% water change. Your fish are going to die unless you can get the ammonia under 1. Then use Prime to condition the water. It binds the ammonia for 24-48 hours and makes it less dangerous for your fish.

If you have Prime, I would put two capfuls in there when you do the change. Do you have Prime? Can you get it?

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What conditioner? If it's not Seachem Prime, it is not going to help with the ammonia problem. And no, there is no need to add every day, unless you are changing water every day.

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok. It looks like you have the means to get the things you need, so I highly recommend you get some Prime. Are you in the U.S.? If so, Petco carries it, and they will usually match online prices. It will really help you and your fish through this.

See what the ammonia is after this water change. If you are going to be doing daily water changes, not sure how much sense it makes to start with the Stability.

Taybaymonay

Reaction score
I don’t wanna do water charges everyday? But am I going to have too? I understand I need nitrites but idk what the **** to do. When I fill up my tank in a fe do I need to put some in there? Or what?

Attachments

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When you fill your tank, you need to add the appropriate amount of de-chlorinator. That is what Prime is, but Prime also helps detoxify small amounts of ammonia. In your case, for right now, you add the API tap water conditioner.

You may well have to do water changes every day until this is under control. You are doing what is called a fish in cycle. The fish you have in there, plus the goldfish you feed them are creating a huge bioload. And you don't need nitrites. They are a byproduct of the nitrogen cycle and are actually worse for the fish than the ammonia is.

Please read this:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Add Seachem stability to help move the cycle along. And prime also. Need more water change now though.
With the ammonia so high and the amount of water changes that may be needed, I didn't want to waste the Stability until the ammonia was closer to 1ppm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why don't you put those fish back in the pond and get some smaller fish for your tank? Those fish need 100 gallons or more. If you are in the US, it is illegal in most states to catch many game fish and keep them in aquariums. You might want to check the laws in your state.

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you are down to 1ppm then add the Stability. Add however much it calls for for the 1st day. In subsequent days you will cut the dose in half I believe. But definitely read the bottle.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s legal in my state. But thanks for the help:emoji_unamused:
But, the tank is still about half the size it needs to be. That bass will outgrow that tank by himself. Just thinking about the welfare of the fish....:meh:

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
When you fill your tank, you need to add the appropriate amount of de-chlorinator. That is what Prime is, but Prime also helps detoxify small amounts of ammonia. In your case, for right now, you add the API tap water conditioner.

You may well have to do water changes every day until this is under control. You are doing what is called a fish in cycle. The fish you have in there, plus the goldfish you feed them are creating a huge bioload. And you don't need nitrites. They are a byproduct of the nitrogen cycle and are actually worse for the fish than the ammonia is.

Please read this:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

With the ammonia so high and the amount of water changes that may be needed, I didn't want to waste the Stability until the ammonia was closer to 1ppm.
It will attach to the filter fairly quick though. It will help get the ammonia closer to 1 .

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 6 66.7%

Top Bottom