Freshwater Clams and Bettas?

1. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

I saw some freshwater clams at the pet store the other day and I was wondering if I can put one or two in my betta tanks? The betta won't eat them, right?

Also, is it advisable to quarantine freshwater clams before putting them in the tank? And do the clams count as inches of fish?

2. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Hi Jane!

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers to your questions. But I do have a question for you! Call me ignorant (I am on this subject!) but I would like to know what the appeal of freshwater clams is? Aren't they just buried all the time? Or do they move around, etc?

Thanks!

3. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

I was told they remove co2 from the tank as well as nitrate. I also think they look pretty cool when they arent buried below the gravel.

4. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

i think they need cool fast moving water and a sand sunstrate and bettas dont do good with any of those so i would say no

5. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Oh that does sound interesting Jane...I wonder how often they are above the substrate? Anything that helps water conditions is welcome in my tanks ;)

6. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

i think clams are filter feeders but i dont know how they remove nitrates and co2, i think they would just add to it

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Absolutely. There are no animals that remove nitrate from our tanks; every animal we keep has a bioload of its own and produces waste. The best way to remove nitrate is with regular water changes. I'm afraid your LFS is just trying to make a sale. FW clams and bettas wouldn't be compatible for the reasons that Gouramiguy mentioned, and as I understand it, the majority of clams in the hobby die prematurely. :(

8. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

Shame. I really thought they would have been a nice addition to the tank.

9. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

i know how you feel, i once wanted one too till i learned bout them