Freshwater Chemical Levels *urgent*

new2fish19

Reaction score
I believe i have messed my 45 gallon tank up and do not know what to do.

I had ICH on on of my balloon mollies, so I put in API super ich cure and removed my carbon filter as per the directions on the label.

I did some tests with my API freshwater master kit and here are the results.
PH-8.2
Ammonia- .25ppm
Nitrite- 1.0ppm
Nitrate- 10ppm
and I do not know what to do! is this the Ich cure causing this?? Normally my levels are 0 0 and 0 with PH of 8.

should I remove all my fish and change all the water? put my carbon filter back in?

Woodsman27

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's possible that the ich cure is did this and it may be a false reading, last time I used an ich cure I put it and the infected fish in QT. But the good news is that if your tank is already cycled then the ammonia and nitrites will be processed in 24 hours or less. I'm interested to see what others will say about this issue. Good luck!

Galaxsy556

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok first, I would definitely begin doing water changes daily to get those levels down, especially the nitrite. Use prime if you have access to it to further protect fish from any damaging effects of ammonia and nitrite.

Now If I may ask, have you added any fish recently? If so how many? And what is your current stock of fish? This may help us to help you in how large these water changes need to be as of right now to help your tank handle the bio-load. How long has your tank been cycled for? (Im guessing it was the API cure that knocked your cycle out of wack but I have no experience with that medication someone else will have to further advice on it).

new2fish19

Reaction score
I put in the ich cure about 10 hours ago but only recently tested due to curiosity. All fish appear healthy and normal..so we will see what happens I guess.

I have had the tank cycled and stable for 4-5 weeks.
Originally I had 2 balloon mollies, 3 tetras, and 2 orange and black mollies.
2 days ago I added 2 swordtail mollies? and 1 redfin shark.

then today I noticed 2 little white spots forming on one of my ballon mollie so I did the Ich Cure

Last edited by a moderator:

loner556

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your levels for nitrate have been zero in the 5 weeks you've had it set up, it was never cycled. Your now doing a fish in cycle and are starting to see the effects of the cycle. Get out the buckets and prime.

Galaxsy556

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have had the tank cycled and stable for 4-5 weeks.
Originally I had 2 balloon mollies, 3 tetras, and 2 orange and black mollies.
2 days ago I added 2 swordtail mollies? and 1 redfin shark.

then today I noticed 2 little white spots forming on one of my ballon mollie so I did the Ich Cure
The ich very possibly came in due to the new additions to the tank, it is possible not to see any ich spots on them as they can often hide I the gills of the fish. If you can quarantine new fish thats always advises tbh.

I’d definitely recommend doing daily water changes or dosing prime every day to avoid getting your fish sicker (though you may want to check if that medication and prime can be used together as again i have never used it myself) as now that the parasite is in the tank poor water conditions will only make them more susceptible and thus it’ll be more likely that you’ll loose some fish due to Ich. A lot of Ich meds are hard on the biologicals of the tank so do be careful.

As far as your fish stock it looks good and no an overload of the tank but I may be wrong here but, don’t red tailed sharks requiere tanks of 55+ gallons?

Also I agree with @loner556 i miseread and thought it said “0 0 and 10” if all three where always zero then your tank was indeed never cycled before you added the fish.

In this case you’ll definitely need daily water changes and prime.

Last edited by a moderator:

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Once you've tackled the current situation, I'd suggest finding some way to bring the pH down a bit. At a pH of 8.0 you have very little leeway before ammonia starts to become a problem. If the pH goes higher, basically any ammonia at all is going to cause a problem for the fish. At a pH of 7.4 you can have up to 1.2ppm total ammonia before it starts to be an issue. Ideally you want 0.0ppm ammonia at any pH, but having a bit of wiggle room can only make things easier on both you and your fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom