Freshwater Bivalve Mollusks

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
anyone keep freshwater clams? I am completely ignorant right now about keeping them in aquaria.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We used to at my LFS store; pain in the butts those things were sometimes, but we (mostly me...) did manage to keep them alive for quite awhile. Kind of interesting to have

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I one would have to hand feed them since the water column is so clean in aquariums. is that a fair assumption to make?

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We actually used to keep it in one of our "blackwater" (it wasn't really black...more like medium-stained from tannins) display tanks which we pretty much just let overgrow with plants and stuff so there was algae to filter feed. But I used to use varied kinds of algae wafers and as they dissolved, they'd filter feed from that. We also had to use calcium tablets.

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
do they anchor or are they mobile. what is their nature and behavior? is there a good source of information i can be lead to?

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They don't necessarily anchor as in stay in one spot permanently, they do move around, but only a teeny bit; not enough for you to really notice. They can dig into the substrate tho, and sometimes you'll find them peeking out a bit. Tbh, they don't really do much, nothing to really picque intrest other than someone saying "I didn't know Freshwater clams existed!"

And sorry, I don't have a perfect all-around source for you; from way back when doing research, caring for them was sorta spotty and sparse and I worked to accumulate information.

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thanks for the xp, and i suppose that's precisely why id want to keep them, for the biological novelty not so much for ornamental aspect.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom