Freshwater aquarium salt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No freshwater tank requires the use of aquarium salt. Corys & Tetras are particularly sensitive to excessive salts & the presence of aquarium salt will likely kill them in the long term.

crystalized

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
um...from my experience..cory fish will not die easy what so ever..

my dad drained my 55 gallon tank and put water into it without cycling it and put the cory fish in there ( while i was away from home for a week and all the barb were in there died ) but the cory fish survived..cory fish is tough and AS will help well and don worry about corry, really..unless you got a poor condtion one from petco/petsmart that is...other than that, cory will almost survive through anything really

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

my dad drained my 55 gallon tank and put water into it without cycling it and put the cory fish in there ( while i was away from home for a week and all the barb were in there died ) but the cory fish survived..cory fish is tough and AS will help well and don worry about corry, really..unless you got a poor condtion one from petco/petsmart that is...other than that, cory will almost survive through anything really
How long was the tank drained? If he just emptied it and then filled it right back up there would be no need to cycle it. The bacteria lives in the filter and on hard surfaces not the water. As long as it didn't sit dried out for a long time the tank might go through a mini cycle on its own. 100% water changes are not the best thing to do but it alone wouldn't cause you to have to start a tank over.

Craig-D

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

So you think that just because your cories lived through a large water change with untreated water that they can survive salt? What does one have to do with the other? It's a scientific fact that salt and cory catfish do not mix.

FishGalaxy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would not as it would kill your cory, they are very sensitive to salt, I will advise against it, if you did not have th ecory I would say go for it though as it makes ammonia and nitrites less toxic and adds electrolyes to the water. Good luck with whatever you decide on doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom