Freshwater Algae Problem?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Msradell, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Msradell

MsradellNew MemberMember

We have a 30 gallon freshwater tank that is been set up and running for about 10 years without issues. Recently we've noticed a series of brown spots appearing randomly on the glass on various sides of the tank. They probably average about the size of a quarter although they are not round and somewhat streaky. They are more like a film than a type of algae have ever seen. It's quite hard to scrape off but can be with some work.

The tank has artificial plants, gravel bottom and a hangup Fluval C4 filter which rated for a 70 gallon tank. Lighting is a full-spectrum LED and the tank has very little exposure to sunlight where it's located.

We tried taking a picture of this but it really doesn't show up on pictures very well.

Any ideas?

2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

I have the same thing with my tank, I just use a scraper. Though I have found paper towels to be very good at getting it off and is very easy with them. Just make sure your paper towels are Aquarium Safe. (No Scented)

3. OP
    OP
    Msradell

MsradellNew MemberMember

Thanks for the feedback, nice to know that I'm not the only one with the problem. I keep playing around with various things to see if I can figure out what's causing it. I water quality is perfect from every test I've done. I agree it's great for works quite well and actually I've used a micro fleece hand towels with great efficiency also.