Freshwater 30 Gallon Tank Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by tartersauce, Jul 27, 2015.

1. tartersauce

tartersauceValued MemberMember

Freshwater tank going to have a sand substrate, live plants and rocks for cover. All I've decided on at this point is 6 Kuhli Loaches and some Blue Velvet Shrimp. Looking to add a schooling fish (6 or so) for the mid-tank level and a solitary fish that will get along with the schoolers. Not sure where to go once I get off the bottom of the tank, suggestions welcome. :)

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You could add in some tetras (lots of choices!), danios, or rasboras for the schooling fish. How about a dwarf or honey gourami for a centerpiece fish?

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

What kind of filter are you running?

4. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Gourami's and Rams make great centerpiece fish. THere are a ton of gourami options. I personally have 2 sunset thicklipped that are very peaceful and great community fish. Watchout for the blue/gold gourami. They can be pretty aggressive so if you go with them you'll need aggressive fish to put back in. Some great peaceful gourami to look into are dwarf, pearl, banded, thicklipped, and honey gourami.

Great schooling fish include tetras (lots of options), Rasbora, and Barbs. My personal favorite are cherry barbs. Very peaceful and very entertaining. Not aggressive like other barbs.

5. OP
    OP
    tartersauce

Probably overkill, but I have a Penguin Bio-Wheel 350.

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea that's sufficient for your tank... Anyway, have you considered dwarf cichlids such as German Blue Ram, Bolivian Ram, Kribensis, Rainbow cichlid, or Laetacara Curviceps.

7. OP
    OP
    tartersauce

I have looked at the German Blue Ram and like them a lot. I feel leery about adding them though as from what I read they are very sensitive to tank environments and like lower PH, wasn't sure I would be able to mix them with my other selections.

8. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Worrying about pH ranges is really a thing of the past, when most of aquarium specimens were still wild-caught. Now tank-raised fish dont really have any problems adjusting to the pH of your tank. I know a couple people on these forums that have GBRs in a pH of 8.2. All you really need to do is acclimate them slowly into your tank when you first get the fish.

9. OP
    OP
    tartersauce

Awesome, that's good info, I didn't even think about wild vs tank-raised and makes sense. I think I would be willing to give that a go then, along with some Cherry Barbs. Now to prep everything for the cycling. How I wish I could have an many tanks as there are fish I like. :)

10. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea so cherry barbs are middle schooling fish, so you'd need at least 6-8. Then maybe a centerpiece fish such as a gourami or dwarf cichlid.

11. CatahoolaValued MemberMember

Any sort of tetra or guppy for sure. My guppies tend to stay at the top of the water, my tetras around the middle. I love the look of Dalmatian mollies, they aren't as much of schooling fish but like to be with a couple other of their species.

12. OP
    OP
    tartersauce

Wooohoooo, instead of a 30gal I'm getting a 45gal corner tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice