Freshwater 29 Gallon Build

1. i

ilovefishys17 Valued Member Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum and wanted to post my freshwater aquarium build. My tank is a 29 gallon and still cycling, my stocking list is:

- 1or 2 discus
    - 10 neon tetras
    - 2 Krib
    - 2 german blue rams
    - 6 to 8 rummy nose tetras
    - 4 glass catfish
    - 1 hystrix stingray.

I'm not set on the rams or Krib just an idea. I will upgrade them to my 55 when I get my saltwater moved to my 90. The hystrix stingray will not live with them forever just until it's around 5 to 6 inches. I will set up a little pool that he can live in with sponge and other filters. I know what I'm getting into and have done my research and, will take advice.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Discus need a good 50-60 gallon tank for a big group of them.
    That list is flawed, and can't be done in a 29 gallon tank.

3. OP
    OP
    i

I'm only doing 1 or 2 discus. It's not a forever home for them as they will be in a 55 gallon.

Please read the bottom of the post. @Fanatic

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would still avoid keeping any discus in this tank. I would wait to get the discus until your larger tank is free (but this stocking won't work for discus even in a 55 gal). Similarly, I would also wait to get the stingray until you have the pond set up for it.

A 29 gal isn't big enough for both kribs and rams. I would stick with one pair. Neons aren't temp compatible with blue rams. Rummynose and neons aren't temp compatible. Glass cats should be in a larger school, and I'd keep them in a larger tank. You also have too many schooling fish for this size tank.

Even in a 55 gal, this stocking won't work. You should always stock for the tank you have, not the one you plan to get in the future.

What about something like this for a 29 gal?

2x GBR
    10x Rummynose
    10x Cardinal tetra
    8-10x Sterbai cories

5. OP
    OP
    i

Thanks, I like the stocking u came up with. The reason I put the discus is I love them and my lfs has kept many and know so I have the advice from them. I already have the 55 gallon and I know when things will happen cause I have done this before. Which kind of stocking ideas with the discus?

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately, I'd be wary of advice from your LFS. They stand to benefit from selling you fish, appropriate for your tanks or not.

Yes, while you may already have the 55 gal, you don't have the larger tank yet.

Discus should be kept in groups of at least 5 or 6 in a 55 gal tank minimum (though bigger is better). They are usually sold as juvies (unless you're prepared to shell out $100+ for one fish), and require multiple feedings a day with daily water changes. This is most easily accomplished in a bare bottom tank with no tank mates. When they're adults (5+", usually), they can be kept with fish that can handle the higher temps: cardinal tetra, rummynose tetra, blue rams, etc.

7. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

It makes me happy to see another person interested in keeping discus. ***However, as much as I like to see it, the two discus in a community tank will not work under any circumstances***. There are so many reasons I could write a book, many of them have been addressed... but, here is some excellent care instructions that will quickly explain why:
    Discus Fish

Why am I happy to see you interested in raising discus? Because many people are unwilling- understandably- ( discus can, very quickly, take the fun out of fish-keeping because of their fussiness).

Or, people want to keep them but dont have the time to put into caring for such a demanding fish so they dont even attempt it: discus need frequent and large water changes - the frequency depending on their age-, discus are prone to diseases that other fish can easily combat and, when young, require (2-3 inch fish) 4-5 x daily feedings and (3-5 inch fish) a minimum of 3 x daily feeding.

If you have the 80.00 - 250.00 dollars to put down on adults 6 inch or above, however, you can by-pass this required feeding regime and just feed 2 x daily.

An ideal scenario for both the discus (i.e. they will live) and you (saving in medications, frustration, time), would be to take that empty 55 gallon and use it to grow out 6 discus and use the other tank for the other fish that you would like to stock.
    I am very happy to assist you in setting up that 55 gallon with some juvenile grow-outs if you wish... :)

8. OP
    OP
    i

Thanks, my mom won't let me have three display tanks. I was thinking of maybe even breeding, but also not. I love the idea of a discus show tank with schooling fish. Any ideas on that?

9. D

The rummy-nose tetra is the perfect schooling fish for discus. They love the higher temperatures, are extremely healthy once acclimated, and school very tightly.
    Neons require much lower temperature than discus. Will die off quickly. Cardinal tetras would work.

10. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

They really are! I added 15 of them to my tank (finally!) :) . Highly recommend!

11. D

@KinsKicks Did any of the rummy's that you acclimated lie on their side on the substrate when you put them in and act like they were dead? As if they are not breathing- caput!
    They do this to me every time and I acclimate them very carefully. I sometimes wonder if it is a natural or biological thing ( this "look-like " they are passing out or really are passing out from stress of acclimation) or a defense mechanism against predation.
    I rarely loose even one during introduction to my tank... even though I am certain they are dead from the moment they hit the water and float to the bottom.

12. KinsKicks

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! *Crying face*
    I acclimated in my QT for a couple of weeks, and they did fine, then all of a sudden, and literally after putting them into the discus tank, they just went ZOOP, and just fell to the bottom, not breathing. I thought I had killed them and was researched like mad, and was 3 sec away from posting on the forum on Sunday, then all of a sudden, they were zipping around like nothing happened! Little buggers! They're fine now and the discus like them (I hope!)

And your post reminded me about scaring goats (as a [dumb] def mech, they pass out after they get scared lol...haha look it up on youtube, its the greatest thing ever!)

And sorry for hijacking!

13. OP
    OP
    i

It's ok, thanks for bringing that up so I don't think I killed them.

Could I do both or just one?

14. KinsKicks

I would do just one, this way you can have one larger school than two smaller ones and get a more interesting schooling behavior

15. OP
    OP
    i

What small schooling fish would u recommend?

16. D

746c56370659aa1207e9d83f973150e0.jpg

Here is some of my Rummy- nose schooling behind my Discus.

17. OP
    OP
    i

Are there any particular plants that would be great. I have dragon stone in there and going to put in some spider wood.

18. D

Are you speaking of the 29 gallon? Are you still considering, after all that you have heard, putting 2 discus into a 29 gallon tank?

19. OP
    OP
    i

Well i have my 29 setup. My plan was to get baby's from my lfs and keep them in the 29 for a few month's, then move them to the 55.

20. D

Okay... good luck.