Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Freshly Cycled Tank With Fish Day 2 Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by NoOne, May 26, 2019.

1. NoOne Valued Member Member

2. Crazycoryfishlady Well Known Member Member

If you say it's cycled, you likely shouldn't need a water change for quite some time with a small stocking like that.
    Sometimes ammonia readings always seem to be .25 even if there is none at all.

Also a side note, panda cories and most corydora actually prefer slightly cooler water than that. Between the 60's and low to mid 70's rather than high 70's low 80's.
    It's possible to keep them at this temperature, but they might be far less active than if they were in a slightly cooler tank more suited for them.
    If you have any stocking questions, I'd try to stay away from mid to top level schooling/center piece fish. While you can have at least one school in your tank, I'd try to stay with just that, only one small to medium school of a semi active mid level fish.
    For the cories, I'd try to get your numbers up to 10 or more. I have 14 in my 55 along withh some other bottom feeders and mid fish.

3. NoOne Valued Member Member

Thanks for your response. I had planned on 5 to 6 pandas but they only had 4 so will add some later. The pandas are busy, busy right now. But I will keep an eye on them. Perhaps I will lower the temp to 78 . The Betta does like it a touch warm so maybe i can hit a happy medium. I expect my ph to gradually drop to 6.8 or 6.6 with water changes but it will be slow. The ammonia has been completely yellow but was only a hint of green. I just know that shrimp are highly sensitive.
    I plan on getting a school of about 12 Rummynose tetras.

Oh yes and a super red bristlenose pleco.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2019
  4. Momgoose56 Well Known Member Member

Check your tap water. Many places have traces of ammonia in tap water. If your tank is cycled any ammonia in tap water should be gone in 12 to 24 hours. But as @Crazycoryfishlady said, it could be a slightly skewed ammonia result.