90 Gallon Tank Fresh Water Sump?

Lin.D.A1216

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey all!
My husband and I have had Fishy Friends for about 4 years now and 2 years ago we got a 90G tank that has always been a work in progress.
We recently planted our 90G, with sand that the seal ended up peeling.
My husband and I resealed and plan to make a new stand and try to do a sump for our 90G to house our plants, 22 tiger barbs and golden algae eater.
We have a 15G and a 10G we have for individual or combined usage for a sump.
Initially we had all our Barb Buddies and Goldie with artificial plants until the father in law came home with plants from a estabilished 120G that had broken in transport.
We want our Fishy Friends to be happy and are having a hard time finding the best way to make a fresh water sump work so any help would be really appreciated!!

Being new to live plants and wanting to do a sump we are out of our element and any help and advice we are more than willing to hear everyone out.

Lin.D.A1216

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello
Have you think about Large canister filter such as fx4-or fx6 instead sump pump I have personally couple 90.gal planted and they work perfect
View attachment 587870 View attachment 587871
Hadn't even started to look into those yet..
I will look into them, i came across a salt water sump idea some time ago and have dabbled a bit into the idea of one for our tank(with fresh water modifications) but never put forth much action.
In all reality though right now we are on a time crunch as the temporary homes for all our Fish are not ideal, the tank started to leak a week ago so we had to move everyone out, clean out plants and sand and got it resealed last night so we have 48hrs to get this set up a little better..

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was interested in trying a DIY sump, but was told that if you don't do it exactly right then it won't work well.

I personally am just going to dish out $400 and buy a brand new sump. Check for a used sump online though.

Lin.D.A1216

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was interested in trying a DIY sump, but was told that if you don't do it exactly right then it won't work well.

I personally am just going to dish out $400 and buy a brand new sump. Check for a used sump online though.
Thanks for the response!
We went with a canister for now. Time was of the essence.. we will keep researching and attempt one or likely buy a second hand one when we move to a permanent location and can hard plumb everything in

jpm995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably a good choise to go canister. Sumps are great but require good design and setup. I always recommend 2 filters if one dies your fish dont. An Aquaclear 70 would word well on a 90 as a secondary filter and also provides better waterflow by lessining dead spots.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have alot of aquarium systems ranging from 40 gallon to 550 gallon and all of them are on sumps. All freshwater. Making your own sump is cheap, easy and they work like a champ. You will far exceed the capability of a canister with the proper application of a sump. Additionally you have many possible designs and customizations you can do.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom