55 Gallon Tank Fresh Water Mollies, started aquarium hobbyist July 2020!!! Pandemic Newbie

Rarebreed84

Member
Hi so I’m still new to aquarium keeping, started July 2020. I’ve learned a lot by extensive research to learn what I was dealing with. Anyways I have had a few Molly births in the past, though eventually all babies have died. Right now I have 5 surviving fry from 3 different mama’s. I just brought home this Molly 2 months ago. I saw her and I had to take her home. Biggest Molly I have seen, no other molly for sale has been that HUGE!! I assumed she was ready to pop, like she was pregnant . But 2 months later nothing n still HUGE! Help, is she just fat or pregnant? Or sick , though she looks perfectly healthy. I observe the fishes everyday to see their behavior n that all checks out as well is as roll call. So I know she is strong healthy fish, I don’t think she is ill.
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
Welcome! Sure that isn't a balloon molly? Kind of looks like one to me, but i am not 100% either.
 

Corylover123

Member
You should put reef salt in your tank and make it saltwater, mollies usually live in brackish water
 

GuppyGal7

Member
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Welcome! Sure that isn't a balloon molly? Kind of looks like one to me, but i am not 100% either.
It could be a hybrid perhaps?
 

Corylover123

Member
Yeah it looks short body cross
 

GuppyGal7

Member
Corylover123 said:
You should put reef salt in your tank and make it saltwater, mollies usually live in brackish water
They're bred in brackish water sometimes because it's cheaper. Doesn't mean they do better in it.
 

Corylover123

Member
They live in salt marshes in the wild, I have seen them in the wild before and they do very well in saltwater
 

GuppyGal7

Member
Corylover123 said:
They live in salt marshes in the wild, I have seen them in the wild before and they do very well in saltwater
But they're still primarily freshwater fish. They don't do particularly better in saltwater. OP has a freshwater tank and freshwater fish. They shouldn't have to change that.

My guess is it's a balloon Molly hybrid. Perhaps it's either an abnormally large male or infertile? Dropsy is a possibility but I highly doubt it given she seems healthy and you've had her for two months.
 
  • Thread Starter

Rarebreed84

Member
Karena007 said:
It could be a hybrid perhaps?
I have to idea, I think it’s a Gold Dubloon Molly
 

GuppyGal7

Member
Rarebreed84 said:
I have to idea, I think it’s a Gold Dubloon Molly
Interesting idea. Can gold dubloons also be lyretails though? Because the Molly is definitely a lyretail.
 
  • Thread Starter

Rarebreed84

Member
Karena007 said:
But they're still primarily freshwater fish. They don't do particularly better in saltwater. OP has a freshwater tank and freshwater fish. They shouldn't have to change that.

My guess is it's a balloon Molly hybrid. Perhaps it's either an abnormally large male or infertile? Dropsy is a possibility but I highly doubt it given she seems healthy and you've had her for two months.

It’s a female, has the fan shape analfin, idk balloon mollies are smaller she is the largest fish in tank.
 

GuppyGal7

Member
Rarebreed84 said:
It’s a female, has the fan shape analfin, idk balloon mollies are smaller she is the largest fish in tank.
Thanks. Sorry, I'm more of a guppy person so I'm bad at sexing mollies. I don't think there's anything to worry about, but we can keep speculating as to why she hasn't given birth yet. Are all these girls from the same supplier and do you have any boys in the tank? She could have come from a place where she was separated from the males perhaps?
 
  • Thread Starter

Rarebreed84

Member
Karena007 said:
Interesting idea. Can gold dubloons also be lyretails though? Because the Molly is definitely a lyretail.
Yea maybe a lyretail Large ballon molly
 
  • Thread Starter

Rarebreed84

Member
Here’s a better picture if anyone else have some thoughts on this massive female Gold Doublin Molly(is what she identifies with
??
 

JPH1970

Member
Pandemic newbie?
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom