Fresh water fish and the Tank Light

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by vabchmommy, Jul 23, 2015.

1. v

vabchmommy New Member Member

My ten gallon tank sits on the kitchen counter. While they don't get direct sun light, the room is open and bright. The fish all get along well and seem happy, but they dart to corners when we turn the light on. Light off and they swim around fine. Any ideas?

2. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

It's likely they get spooked every time you turn on the light, especially if it is much brighter than the ambient lighting.
    Its kind of like if you were in a dark room and somebody turns on the light unexpectedly.

3. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

My girlfriend still doesn't understand why I don't just flip on the lights on the tank....
    I have a house light on a timer that turns on 15 min before the tank light.....

To demonstrate why I did this I waited for her alarm to go off one morning and then I simply flipped on the light switch in the bedroom lol....my point was made but she wasn't too happy

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

If you don't have live plants, the light is just for you. ;) I think if they're happy and it's not really bugging you, leave it off. Alternately, you can get some artificial floating plants so it's not quite so bright in there?

5. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

Remember....fish don't have eye lids!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice