Fresh Water Eel

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Shadowgames, Apr 16, 2018.

1. S

Shadowgames New Member Member

Can anyone tell me what type of eel this is. It ate the other fish

Attached Files:

2. live4wetsleeves

live4wetsleeves Well Known Member Member

Can you possibly post pictures of greater detail? It looks like it could be an African rope fish but I can't tell because the picture is too blurry to see definitive details.

3. WanhiBetta

WanhiBetta Valued Member Member

What is the size of the tank and what fish do you have in it?

4. live4wetsleeves

From the looks of it, much too small for that eel/fish.

5. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

Freshwater Snowflake maybe.... Not sure until we get a up close of the head

6. WanhiBetta

WanhiBetta Valued Member Member

Yeah that's also what I think

7. live4wetsleeves

If it is a snowflake, he will potentially reach 20+ inches and that tank looks like maybe a 20g tall. That's way less surface area than that eel will and does need. We just need to ID the little slippery tube dude and then we can discuss the homing situation with the OP.

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Well, definitely not a Ropefish. The head is shaped like a true Eel, Anguilla species. If I am correct, it will get extremely large, depending on species up to 7 feet. The European Eel, Anguilla anguilla, gets over 4 foot, and is relatively common along the Eastern Seaboard. They move between fresh and salt water depending on their life stage. Small ones like this are sometimes caught in FW.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice