Fresh Vs. Brackish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Dch48, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:48 PM.

1. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

I am starting a brackish water tank for Opae Ula shrimp. The water in it right now is distilled. If I jump start a cycle by either adding TSS or a piece of filter media from a freshwater tank, will that bacteria be killed off when I add the reef salt to make half strength seawater?

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

That is a great question, I'm turning to ask Tetra themselves if they know right now

3. UluWell Known MemberMember

I started a 30g brackish tank from a freshwater tank which was well cycled & running over a year.
    It runs a small sump with floss, plastic media, lava and sponge.

March 12 I started running the density up from 1.000 to 1.010 over 3 days, with Instant Ocean.
    There was a slow die off of bacteria & by about Mar 17, and I smelled mostly it in the sump.

Mar 18 I changed water 50%, maintaining 1.010. I changed the floss & flushed the sump a little, rinsing the sponge and lava with conditioned water.

Mar 26 I did another 50% change.

April 5 Another 50%, and no changes since, just top offs.

So it has been one month ago to the day, and parameters have been very steady since April began.

The tank is now supporting 10 guppies, 4 fat mollies, and 6 growing Mono Sebae, and the bacteria seem to have recovered quickly.

I only used Instant DeChlor and Instant Ocean with tap water.

So I would consider that a lot of bacteria will die off, but it will come back fast.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 12:06 AM
  4. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

This tank will have no filter

5. UluWell Known MemberMember

That doesn't change the fact. Some bacteria will die and you will smell it.

Anyhow I am glad you brought this up, because the ghost shrimp didn't do so well and I was looking for a "brackish" shrimp.

6. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

""Thanks for asking! If your salinity is under 1.015 you could use SafeStart. If your salinity is higher we suggest you check out Instant Ocean BioSpira.""

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice