Fresh Vs. Brackish

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am starting a brackish water tank for Opae Ula shrimp. The water in it right now is distilled. If I jump start a cycle by either adding TSS or a piece of filter media from a freshwater tank, will that bacteria be killed off when I add the reef salt to make half strength seawater?

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I started a 30g brackish tank from a freshwater tank which was well cycled & running over a year.
It runs a small sump with floss, plastic media, lava and sponge.

March 12 I started running the density up from 1.000 to 1.010 over 3 days, with Instant Ocean.
There was a slow die off of bacteria & by about Mar 17, and I smelled mostly it in the sump.

Mar 18 I changed water 50%, maintaining 1.010. I changed the floss & flushed the sump a little, rinsing the sponge and lava with conditioned water.

Mar 26 I did another 50% change.

April 5 Another 50%, and no changes since, just top offs.

So it has been one month ago to the day, and parameters have been very steady since April began.

The tank is now supporting 10 guppies, 4 fat mollies, and 6 growing Mono Sebae, and the bacteria seem to have recovered quickly.

I only used Instant DeChlor and Instant Ocean with tap water.

So I would consider that a lot of bacteria will die off, but it will come back fast.

Last edited:

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That doesn't change the fact. Some bacteria will die and you will smell it.

Anyhow I am glad you brought this up, because the ghost shrimp didn't do so well and I was looking for a "brackish" shrimp.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom