Fresh Start

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok as some of you know I have lost two of my most beloved bettas this week....and now I lost another one who had been fighting a sickness for over two weeks...

But now I'm done and over it....this is where I put my foot down and get going with the things I want so here is what I'm going to do starting as soon as I get my little business up and going in a few weeks.

One: Melian, and Talia my two little females are getting their own 5gal tank divided for them just to save on space. And all of my bettas are getting their own tank heaters. (I keep my room at 76....and it does have its annoying moments) And I'm just going to redo Sherlocks and Platos tanks with new better plants...maybe even go live planted. Who knows!?

Two: 25gal goldfish tank, going to get a UV Sterlizing system for it so I dont have to worry about the algae that grows free floating in the water....(annoying ). I'm also going to get a cooling system big enough for a 55gal which I will be upgrading them too...sometime...kind of sort of soon. lol.

Three: Eli will go into the 25gal and I'm going to stock it with something....I would like a Cichlid tank..but idk what wouldn't try to eat Eli...which isnt something I want to happen...so maybe he'll just stay in his 10gal...lol. But I need ideas for the 25gal once the goldfish are out so suggestions I welcome them!

Other then that I'm not sure. I'm going to work on a stand/bookself for my betta tanks just so I have all kinds of room. My desk is getting crowded...lol. Then I think then I might be done. My parents would shoot me if I did more then that ;D

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Chillers are pretty expensive - in the order of $300-400. I'm working on a DIY cooling system for my 90...if it works I;ll let you know.

UV filters are great, IMO.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I love GBRs my friend you could put a pair in a 25 gal with no prob. One of the most beautiful tropical fish imo.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Chris-It's really cool how you've decided you're going to turn things around! Best of luck and please keep us posted! You're going to have some very happy fish when you've completed all of these plans. Plus, it'll be fun!

Please post lots of progress pics.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow...this got a lot of hits in the last 10minutes...lol. Nah I'm thinking I wont put Eli in there and just up him to a 15gal or 20gal long...or just leave him be where he is. Umm...my mind just went stupid what does GBR stand for...?

And Jaysee yes let me know if your DIY chiller works out...I know cooling systems are really expensive...and doing something a little cheaper but worked would be really nice....

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
arty0011: <-- Heh, I never get to use this emoticon, sorry if it's [too] cheesy.

It always feels good to get out of a funk by getting up off your butt and just doing things. Good luck with everything. Look forward to updates.

And GBR = German Blue Ram.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well everyone just post the same thing why dont yeah.... lol thanks..I forgot for a second. Ok if I go with the GBR what do I get male and female, two males....two females? And is there any other suggestions on what to do with the 25gal?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Proceed with caution adding two GBR's. My best advice would be to get two that seem to stay close together in the tank at the LFS, kinda like watching angelfish at the LFS to see who looks like they're about to pair off.

I had a horrible time getting my two bolivian rams to get along in anything smaller than a 55g. It was before I knew the "cichlid trick" above.

I hope this helps.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thats like what I do with my Bettas....which everone comes up and faces you off then flares at you and does the butt dance is the right one.... But...my LFS has some GBR now that I think about it...but they never seem all that colorful...dont get me wrong they are very amazing...but the only LFS that carrys them their coloring looks...faded...maybe stress?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It could be stress or poor breeding. I wonder if there is a breeder around you somewhere...that might be the best bet. GBR's in poor health are very difficult to keep alive and I'd hate for you to bring them home and lose them. It's a tough call to make.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah, good point...I guess I need to go get my begal and do some sniffing for a GBR breeder around here lol. I would love to keep them...I wanted one when I saw them at the LFS...they do look cool. But I'm just not so sure. I have a couch in my room I'll have to get rid of for the 55gal...lol. And my bed...I have to do something with it. This is going to be fun...I can't wait to get things moving along. I'm excitted for the first time in forever! Now...if only I could talk my parents into getting a pond......

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah, good point...I guess I need to go get my begal and do some sniffing for a GBR breeder around here lol. I would love to keep them...I wanted one when I saw them at the LFS...they do look cool. But I'm just not so sure. I have a couch in my room I'll have to get rid of for the 55gal...lol. And my bed...I have to do something with it. This is going to be fun...I can't wait to get things moving along. I'm excitted for the first time in forever! Now...if only I could talk my parents into getting a pond......
If you're looking for room to put a tank, bookcases can be moved into walk-in closets (I've done that), furniture can be put VERY close together (I've done that), and boxes are great for storing stuff you don't use often (I've done that). Oh, and storage bins and boxes can be stacked.

I hope this helps! We're so excited for you! Fish projects are so much fun.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lol, My closet is full of boxes of stuff currently inactive duty...XD But hopefully I'll figure out something awesome to do....luck me my dad owns his own construction business..he'll help me lol. I'll start posting pictures when I get things going.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think GBRs color up beautifully once they're home and comfortable. I thought mine was pretty enough in the store, but the iridescence was really something when she got acclimated.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom