Question Fresh/ saltwater sand?

JacksonNeedsHelp

Reaction score
My mom went to the store today and bought a lot of sand for my previously failed freshwater aquarium I decided to start over and change gravel out for sand and my mom accidentally bought saltwater sand, will it be ok or am I totally screwed? It was like $120 worth of sand and she is mad at me for “not clarifying” please help

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Read your description of the bag..Live sand for salt aquarium can not use for freshwater aquarium but some sand indicate in the bag that ,it can be use for both..What kind of sand or Name on the bag of your sand?.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Volpap

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One thing I would look at is the coarseness and how sharp the pieces are. If you have Cory’s or any loaches the coarse sand can cut their undersides and barbs. I agree with mattgirl on using pool filter sand. It won’t harm your fish and particles are big enough that it doesn’t cloud the water when disturbed.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One thing I would look at is the coarseness and how sharp the pieces are. If you have Cory’s or any loaches the coarse sand can cut their undersides and barbs. I agree with mattgirl on using pool filter sand. It won’t harm your fish and particles are big enough that it doesn’t cloud the water when disturbed.
Aragonite sand will raise pH and KH over time. Get regular freshwater sand or a medium grain pool filter sand if you don't want a pH potentially over 8.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom