Frequency of changes

1. agentk

agentk New Member Member

So I've been reading lately about water changes and I keep seeing conflicting suggestions on how much water and how frequently to do the changes. I am very cleanly with everything in my house and so of course with a tank I want it to be perfectly clean as well. Well my friends have said stuff like I clean them too frequently and change too much water.

So since I can't find a very consistent answer I thought I'd ask some fellow fishlorians: how often do you clean/siphon your tank, and how much water do you replace? Currently my routine is about 20% of water one time a week.

Thanks for your input guys!

agentk

2. C

CLam Valued Member Member

Personally, I don't think your current routine is overkill, especially as both the tanks you list are pretty new. Of course, much depends on your current stock, but none of your fish should be able to overload your tanks. Myself, if I have the time, I do 5-10% changes daily just to keep the fish happy—I use the fish poopy water to water the plants. 20% a week sounds great.

3. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have lots of different tanks. So I'll give you an idea of my schedule for some of them... My 85G Goldfish tank gets 3x50% changes a week and my community 32G gets 2x30% changes a week. My 3G gets 70% every other day. My pygmies in the 30G get 2x25% changes a week.

It depends on the tank! I don't think you're over cleaning.xx

4. A

AngelZee Valued Member Member

That schedule seems just right unless of course your tank is overstocked or you have fish that are "messier" than others, in other words, poop alot.

I personally do 20-25% water changes every week as well and that means siphoning out the sandbeds in my 30g and 50g aquariums.

As for cleaning the tank or filter. I clean the tank walls as needed, when i see small algae spots forming and the filter media gets rinsed about every month but not the entire thing. Only half, then the other half next month to not ruin the beneficial bacteria.

The real only filter media I ever change is Carbon, the sponges can be rinsed and the foam pads as well. BioMedia gets replaced every like 6 months or so.

5. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

20 gallon livebearer tank: 2x 50% a week.
    40 gallon community tank: 2x 30% a week.

6. jwhorner6

jwhorner6 Well Known Member Member

In my opinion it all depends on your bioload. I try and keep my nitrates under 20ppm. I was doing 50% water changes a week in my cichlid tank bit with testing the water have found that I can do 50% every other week and still keep the nitrates at 10 or below so that is now what I do

7. OP
    OP
    agentk

agentk New Member Member

Thanks you guys. I really appreciate it. I went ahead and told my friends that I'm the crazy fish lady in our circle of friends for a reason. Because I know what the heck I'm doing. ;)

agentk

8. celizabethh3

celizabethh3 Valued Member Member

My routine is similar but percentages vary depending on the tank size:

36 gallon - 25-30% weekly
    10 gallon - approx 50% weekly (I find my guppies messy)
    2 gallon - 40% twice weekly

I'm pretty obsessive when it comes to my tanks. And now I have a ton of fry who get daily water changes until they're big enough to be living with the parents and eventually sold/given away .. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. d

dakota Valued Member Member

I also do mine once a week at least 30% including vacuuming. I do the HOB filters ever water change and do the Eheim 2075 canister once a month. Thanks

10. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I change 50% to 75% in all of my tanks at least once a week. The only thing that depends on how much I change in them, is how closely I am paying attention to the tanks draining. I'm easily distracted....