freeze dried brine shrimp

1. Swanbme Initiate Member

I have bought some freeze dried brine shrimp to feed. It comes in cubes. Should I break up the cube before putting it in the tank, or just blop the whole cube in and let it work its way loose? It seems not to break up very well in the water unless I help it. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. jimmy Initiate Member

hey swanbme,

the way i was told to feed brine shrimp was to actually break it up, otherwise some fishes may have a hard time getting at it!

I was told this by my local fish store...... use some  sort of object to help break it apart outside of the tank first,..... hope this helps

3. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Hello, my friend breaks his up into little pieces too - his platys cant get enough of the stuff!

4. FishFan Member Member

Actually, I've been told that frozen brine shrimp are a lot better than the freeze dried. Then, all you have to do it thaw the cube in a bit of aquarium water & slowly feed it until they eat it all. You want to see pig-fish? That's the stuff! Also-I feed flake food and was always told to crush it into smaller pieces, but I find if I leave some of the flakes large, the fish find it easier once it's on the bottom.

5. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I've heard that feeding frozen foods can give your fish internal parasites because freezing it doesn't kill all the germs. It probably isn't very likely, but I got freezed dried foods just to be safe.