55 Gallon Tank Freebie 5ft/55gal/200ltr tank stocking

PeterFishKeepin

Hey everybody,

I've got a school teacher who has many tan tanks and is getting rid of some, he said I could take some tank I've got a thread I'll link below if u want more info.

Opportunity for free Tanks.. which to choose | Freshwater Aquarium Builds Forum | 525812

The tank is 149cm long/4.75ft, 30cm wide/1ft, and 45cm tall/1.5t making it around 201 litres/53 gallons

I'm super interest in cichlids can't decide on Africans or American cichlids...

How would you stock a tank like this I'd appreciate ideas for African and American

I'm interest in Green terrors, firemouths, servrum, Acara, jack Dempsey.. etc also like mbuna and Malawi type cichlids...

Also I'm think about a rainbow fish tank so ideas are welcome...

Thanks for all help in advanced,

Peter:)

TClare

I'm super interest in cichlids can't decide on Africans or American cichlids...
What are your water parameters? - Best to chose fish that match these as far as possible so you don't have to play around with the water. If you have soft water with low to neutral pH go with South Americans (or Central/West Africans). If you have hard water choose rift lake species, maybe some of the smaller Tanganyikan species would be best in this case as I am not sure if the tank is big enough for most Malawi species.

PeterFishKeepin

My water is neutral around 7.1 ph, I can and driftwood, leaves litter etc to lower ph, and crush coral, limestone to increase it so either type of cichlid will be an option.

TClare

My water is neutral around 7.1 ph, I can and driftwood, leaves litter etc to lower ph, and crush coral, limestone to increase it so either type of cichlid will be an option.
Leaves and driftwood will not lower pH much, but that pH will be OK for most South Americans anyway. Then it depends what appeals to you most, maybe do some research and choose a shortlist of species that are available to you and that will suit your tank size. I do not have any personal experience with rift lake cichlids but can advise on South and Central Americans. Are there any particular ones you have in mind?

PeterFishKeepin

I'm interest in Green terrors, firemouths, servrum, Acara, jack Dempsey.
I would like a centre piece fish, and then if it's possible I'll possibly add Congo Tetra but if not then just the cichlids. I want a largish fish like say around 6inchs so I can see it, and have a wet pet dog kinda thing, interactive, awesome personalities.

SamMe

My acara is a nice addition to my tank, but my firemouth goes after every other fish in the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PeterFishKeepin
Replies
Views
PeterFishKeepin
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views