free the bettas and walmart fish!!!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by CodyJ, Dec 6, 2012.

1. CodyJ

CodyJ Valued Member Member

So who is with me free the bettas and Walmart fish

2. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

at least where they are they are able to find good homes.. if they where all to go to good homes id be in but it is unrealistic

3. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

The only problem I see with buying them to free them is that the companies will take that not as a sign of you you think, but as a high selling product to continue the tiny bowl practice.

4. slimeneo

slimeneo Valued Member Member

Someone can start a petition :)

When I first started, I got fish from Walmart.

Lol, worst decision ever. I'm pretty sure they were all sick, they didn't even swim away when they were netted by the inexperienced employee that didn't even work at that section (well I don't think anyone does). I saw so many dead fish.... I've never gone back there since. (and the fish died less than 12 hrs later)

But seriously, they shouldn't be allowed to sell fish if there's no one actually working at that section AND allowing there to be rotting fish in so many tanks.

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Free them? Like, back to the wild?

6. OP
    OP
    CodyJ

Well the bettas can be put in a community tank and the Walmart fish.. we need to get Walmart to stop selling fish its horrible

7. slimeneo

slimeneo Valued Member Member

I think the bettas would kill each other.

8. OP
    OP
    CodyJ

Possibly

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Maybe you could get the "occupy" protestors to show up there. Should be easy as they rarely know what they're protesting. That'll get some media attention to get your message out.

10. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

They are quite territorial and would kill each other and most other fish before anyone had a chance to buy them.

11. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I am sure they ment 1 betta a tank... also Walmart makes a decent profit from selling fish and other animal supplies I doubt they will ever stop however I would like to defend them, a little, with saying my brother and i have gotten our walmat to heat their tanks and keep the bettas clean :) I go in once a week and check on the fish and make complaints to the manager on duty! Also I have 4 black skirt tetras and 1 betta from there and none are sick and thriving... it depends oh how you care for them once you bring them home and carfully watching them before buying them...

Before petitioning to get rid of something, that won't ever happen, try talking to the managers 9/10 they they will help with keeping everything in good condition :)

12. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

i have pretty much shunned walmart petco and petsmart.. i go to petco and petsmart out of complete necessity for good fish food api master and such like that as well as plants.. i have not bought any fish besides my betta from petco. all other fish are from a lfs :)

13. t

trijohn Valued Member Member

I get your point about walmart. But in all the stores I've been to that sell fish, there are always problems with overcrowding and dead fish in the tank. It would be great if store tanks were stocked reasonably, but the problems are pretty common everywhere from Petco and Walmart to the local and specialty fish stores.
    The best maintained tanks I've seen are saltwater where the fish are very expensive.

14. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

As I said to fix the issues talk to someone in charge... then come in weekly or twice weekly and complain... if it doesn't work move to the district manager if he can't do it, personally, I would start calling the health department and they will shut them down until it is fixed :)

15. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

My wife bought new gold fish from Petsmart the other day and after she bagged them and tagged them she told us they just moved the fish to the new tank due to some electrical work so they might be stressed.

Well they didn't make it, no suprise, they got all stressed and did a mass suicide.

16. F

Featherfin Valued Member Member

No. Wouldn't ever support Walmart by buying their fish. That would just cause them to stock even more. The ones at my local Walmarts are extremely sick (probably with something chronic like my local Petsmart has). Each tank has dozens of dead fish rotting and they never even take the dead fish out. I wish we could get them to stop selling fish but nobody stands a chance against such a giant chain store.

17. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

my wallmart has stepped up they have a lady that works there and she dose daily pwc and changes a bit of the betta water daily , last i was in they didn't have a single dead fish, she asked the walmart for a position in pets because she hated the way they where kept

18. Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

I was in Walmart again today (a filter died) and I looked at their tanks. They are almost completely covered in algae. There's dead and sick fish in just about every tank. They stuck some plecos in with the oscars (they weren't in there the other day) and now they all have ripped fins.:( Out of the 20 or so id sharks that they have (in ONE tank), maybe 15 of them are extremely bloated. I counted 17 pictus cats in one tank! They also have 4 black finned sharks, 2 snails, and 5 giant danios in there with them (and some plants). They barely have enough room to turn around at all, let alone swim. And these divided tanks are only about the size of a FIVE gallon!!

I'm surprised they sell any fish at all. Other than the betta I tried to save there - I would never buy fish from them.

19. OP
    OP
    CodyJ

If they get somebody who actually cares for fish and will take care of them then Im fine with that

20. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

i was very happy to see the tanks in good shape wish more walmarts would do this

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice