Free Fluval Canister Filter?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by _S_, Apr 25, 2017.

1. _S_New MemberMember

So I recently I was looking for a big tank a 70 or 50 gallon. I wanted to have a good filter so I decided to go with a canister, but they were very expensive. I somehow managed to get a Fluval 206 for free. It is second hand but it is in pretty good condition considering its free. Now my question is how should I clean it so it is completely disinfected? Edit: I was removing the hoses and a piece close to the valve. I actuallt think it was a tiny piece in the beginning of the aqua stop valve that broke i'll attach a pick but now it wont full close what should I do? Will it still work fine. I am really worried

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

What piece broke? I can't see in your pics.

I usually give everything a wash down with boiling water and then let everything dry completely. Just boil the jug and pour it over, I don't like to let it sit too long, the plastic won't melt but might soften enough to deform if left for a while.

Also, that small filter you're going to need another one for a 50-75g tank.

3. _S_New MemberMember

4. TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

Oh, there's a tab on the red handle that slots into a hole in in the valve when you pull it up. That doesn't let you pull up the red handle if you haven't closed off the valve to stop the water flow. That's what you broke? I assume anyway, based on the 404s I had.

That's basically just to keep you from pulling the valve off the filter and spraying water every where, it's not necessary.

5. grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

There is pressure in those pipes and the red thing is what holds the valve housing down, you could get a new one for not that much i have the 306 on a 200litre 55gallon i think and if i were you running that on say a 70 gal id also run an internal rated for a 50 gal id say that would cope and even help with flow and circulation i run 2 on one of my tanks. You

6. grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

You probably would be ok wit the red thing but id just get one as the filter was free

7. _S_New MemberMember

That's what I was thinking because it's a piece off of the aqua stop valve, so I was thinking to replace it because it wasn't fully clicking and closing. It kind of lifts up a bit as shown in he second pic. I also had another question that I didn't put in the thread because it happened after but I wanted to know if you could maybe help me with this. No matter what I do I literally can't get the whole aqua stop piece out (the one that's connecting the hoses) and when I want to replace that piece I have no clue how I would be able to do it because that part wont get out. That's the reason that piece broke in the first place, this isn't my first canister and my 306 nicely dismounts when I pull on the red thing gently. I was pulling on the red thing of this and it literally wasn't budging so I decided I might need more pressure to lift it out but it broke from there. Do you have any ideas why this may be happening and how I can get the whole aqua stop piece out?

8. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

You mentioned you were gonna buy another canister, considering how much canister filters cost, and how you mentioned money, I would seriously consider doing a DIY wet/dry sump, or just a plain sump.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice